AXM International Space Station

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Hans Christian, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Its ok Lucas! :-D

for PMA 3, that's the only "movable" ISS piece that I need to glue... but I only glue it on pre-determined points and using little super glue to hold it in place, so that when I pop it out again, it will not cause significant damage to the CBM... plus, I used a smaller diameter ring (equal to the internal diameter of the PMA's CBM attachment ring)

The LCA on top of destiny is included in the STS-102 payload file, and is included in sir Alfonso's second (starting from Node 2) 1/100 scale module package
  2. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

This is a really great build, keep up the progress.
  3. Hans Christian

Thanks sir!!! :-D

Meanwhile, sir Alfonso has delivered once again!!!

[​IMG]

STS-105 finally flies... I mean online!!! :-D

I guess its time to re-watch NGC's documentary :twisted:
  4. Hans Christian

Part 4-2-2 Some module "improvements" :-D

Also, I did some improvements to the existing modules...

[​IMG]

Soyuz TMA (not necessarily a new addition, but I replaced the original one with this one [which is now sitting in my room table], and it's newly built during the time being, so its in :-D)

[​IMG]

I reskinned Unity to match the color of Destiny (since the ink's color has faded with time) and to add structural strength to the module (I also plan to do the same on Destiny).

Also, you can see here that it now has the CBM petals from sir Alfonso's Node 1. The other CBMs were also given the same details. Plus you can also see here that I used the more accurate trunnion pins, and the EVA toolbox glued from Unity's aft cone (also from sir Alfonso's Node 1 :-D ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added the missing antennas on Zarya (I already thought of gluing these since the Zarya build started, but for some reason, I didn't... but anyway, its there now... :-D )

[​IMG]

Another one for Zarya... I replaced the original docking adapter, with a new, more 3D looking one using parts from Zvezda. Also, if you notice, you can probably see 6 holes on the docking hooks...

that's where the pins from the Soyuz, Progress, and MRM 2 (if its launched) will go... (I'll show you on the STS-100 pics how I plug them :-D )

[​IMG]

Another shot of P-6 (nothing in particular :-D )
  5. Hans Christian

Part 4-3-1 some shots with something in my collection :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's OV-104 - Atlantis... like the ISS, I've been building this thing for years now (4 years ago to be exact... originally as a gift, but it was never be... long story again)... now it serves a new purpose, to assist me to install all of the ISS parts that were brought up by this shuttle...

OV-103 Discovery and OV-105 Endeavour are now lined up for their OMDP (Orbiter Maintenance Down Period)... errr... I mean reskinning to their current scheme :-D

[​IMG]

The shot of the two
  6. Hans Christian

Part 4-3-2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Together with Tier One (for our newbie forum buddies, you can look for the build thread for that one in this forum subject section :-D )

right now, the Tier one model is still the biggest one I have, but with the pace sir Alfonso is doing for his ISS releases, it will soon be broken by it... :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last 2 shots (I've fixed the misalignment of the PVAs of P-6 during the updating of this one)

Next to be uploaded, the model's current config; post - STS-100 (flight 6/A) update :twisted:
  7. Hans Christian

Part 4-2-1

I almost forgot this one...

[​IMG]

the Rigid Umbilical installed by Susan Helms during her EVA :-D
  8. Hans Christian

Part 5-1 - Flight 6/A (STS-100) additions :twisted:

finally, here are the images of the ISS model as it currently appears now :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

great work Hans, I still cannot believe how straight the Panels are

John John
  10. Hans Christian

Thanks sir!!! hehe!!!

Don't worry, you can also achieve those "gravity-defying" straightness of the PVAs... :twisted:

meanwhile, here's the next part!!! :-D
  11. Hans Christian

Part 5-2-1 - the new parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the main addition, Canada's SSRMS. sir Alfonso really did a great job on this one, and I must say its one of my favorite pieces on the ISS model right now :-D

[​IMG]

UHF Antenna. This little, but important detail is one of those parts that I tried to find on the MARSCenter ISS (which wasn't there)... For many instances before sir Alfonso's release, I have researched which mission brought this one up, but oftentimes, I can't pinpoint it... But prior to sir Alsonso's model, while researching STS-104, I noticed that the UHF antenna only appeared after STS-100... finally answering my question... and since the start of the model's updating to post 6/A, this one was the first to go to the model.

BTW, you may have noticed that the antenna here has a more 3-D appearance. What I did was cut the perpendicular bars, cut them to shape, laminate them to 2 layers of card, and glued them together. The white transmitters/receivers were made from 2 pieces of toothpick, cut and sanded to shape, and painted with liquid eraser (otherwise known as liquid paper) :-D

[​IMG]

The Direct Current Switching Unit (DCSU) , finally installed on ESP-1
  12. Hans Christian

Part 5-2-2 Module Improvements part 2 :-D

This time, the Z-1 ITS received some important parts from sir Alfonso's unit :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added the side panels to the truss. Since the model is now underway to future module additions, I felt it wasn't right to leave Z-1 as it is... You may have noticed from the earliest images of Z-1 that I cut all spaces to have that truss look. But after seeing sir Alfonso's unit, I realized that it was not the case, as Z-1 have important components attached to the sides... Also I included the temporary mating ring for PMA 2 (used during US Lab installation)

[​IMG]

I also replaced the CMG thermal cover with a newer, more properly built one :-D
  13. Hans Christian

Part 5-3-1

Here's the post to answere some of the questions I've received from the people here :-D

How to make the P-6 ITS, Soyuz, and SSRMS "re-movable" :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the P-6 Truss, you can see here that I stuck (not glued BTW, but all having a very snug fit) 4 toothpicks on 4 holes on the truss' bottom (to where the attachment hooks are placed). The toothpicks go to the 4 holes on the Z-1 truss (which I made narrow using super glue for a tight fit). The result is that the P-6/Z-1 attachment is so secure that even with the weight of the PVAs, it won't even budge, yet its still removable for its final move to P-5 later on STS-120.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A similar method was used on Soyuz, only this time, small diameter wire was used...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...as well as SSRMS...
  14. Hans Christian

Part 5-3-2

making the Russian Solar Panel joints

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When Zarya and Zvezda was under construction 5 years ago, I used toothpicks to serve as shafts, then I rolled a strip of card to serve as the bearing, and rolled another strip to be used as the stopper (not shown, I forgot to take a pic...) so that the panel won't fall off...

(This time, I removed the panels again because the toothpicks are now brittle. And I used wire to replace the shaft so that I will not break...)

The resulting assembly allows individual panel orientation :-D

[​IMG]
  15. Hans Christian

last post

[​IMG]

before I start prepping for STS-104, I have to make a new display stand... I need more height to accommodate the nadir facing modules, the SSRMS and the Shuttle's tail when its "docked"...

also, I have to slow down progress from now on... I need to work for my entries for the upcoming IPMS nationals here (which is now less than 3 months away, plus a bunch of other stuff I need to work on)... but I'll make sure that this one pushes through, since the model will also be displayed as an exhibit piece for the event, which, according my co-members in IPMS, will have its own display case :-D
  16. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

MY OH MY; Hans!!!!

This is one hell of a station!!! Really, it should be placed on a museum when complete, my friend!!
  17. Hans Christian

Thanks sir Gerardo!!! :-D

Meanwhile, I'm still pondering on the design of the model's new display stand... :-D

I am finished with Atlantis' configuration to flight 7/A (STS-104), but don't have any pics to show yet... and I have to build Progress M as well...

But I'll show them once done :-D

sir Alfonso's working on an improtant part of his ISS model for the moment, and I'm assisting him on some detail parts... I sure hope it will pay off...

But don't worry guys, STS-110 will come out very very SOON :-D
  18. Hans Christian

S-0 ITS Preview

I know many here are eagerly awaiting sir Alfonso's S-0 truss segment...

He has slowed down (but not stopped, don't worry :-D) the designing and test building process because of his daily priorities, but here's a preview of the truss... :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and BTW, this is just the prototype... the final release version will be a better one, and the 1/100 will be a more detailed piece!!!

If these pics don't make you drool, I don't know what will... hehe!!! bounce7

And sir Alfonso has just one message for all of us...

Be prepared with your X-acto knives guys

:twisted:
  19. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

'O' you are a bad man :mrgreen:

I can see the 'insides', amazing.
  20. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Hi to the group,

I want to ask for your patience. My job, family and duties are first. Believe me, if I'd have all the time in the world I'll be doing these models at a faster pace.
    The S0 truss is a very complex element and needs special attention to the detail involved. I've been very fortunate in finding all the data to make this model as accurate as possible. This element is the first model I'm building it from the inside out.
    In a couple of days I'll be releasing this model. As I'm typing this message, the 1:144 model is almost complete. After that I'll start assembling the 1:100 version which by the way is more complete.
    Thanks again,

Alfonso