Aviation Museum China

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Lex, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

This summer I had a summer placement in Beijing, (in fact I'm just getting my college to pay for the tickets for a trip I'll be going anyway) and surely I didn't miss the chance to see what the aviation museum in China looks like.

Public transport has improved much thanks to the Olympics, and now we have buses running to the furthest of the countryside. And on a fine day I set foot on what it claimed to be the largest collection of aircraft in Asia.

I knew what to expect, China isn't generous enough to put Flankers or Finbacks on public display just yet, so I tried to not look at all the Mig-15 (J-6 as license built version) they had (as I counted there's at least 40 of so of those). Meanwhile I was more interested in other subjects. I tried to locate a Zero, because I felt naturally there must be one captured when Japan retreated from China, but no luck, the only Japanese aircraft on display was a trainer. Still, there is a lot that I did find, --and perhaps some of which might not be very entertaining for a Westerner...

[​IMG]
    The first Mig around, not quite sure of its exact history.
    [​IMG]
    The only Mig on display with a green camouflage
    [​IMG]
    Very surprised to see a Starfighter, in fact this one was donated as a gift by Italy :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    A Mig stripped to the bare bones... (It just shows how many of those they have here)
    [​IMG]
    Russia's first jet fighter, yes the first. Made by fitting a captured Jumo-4 onto a propeller aircraft. Two whole aircraft survived to this day, one's in Romania, and the other's here.
    [​IMG]
    OMG a Mustang! Needless to say this was captured from the Nationalists during Chinas civil war :wave:
    [​IMG]
    OMG a Warhawk! (or is it?) Same comments as above.
    [​IMG]
    Now a DH Mosquito... Missing a wing but I can still marvel at its wooden construction.
    [​IMG]
    An Il-10 Dive bomber
    [​IMG]
    Another early Soviet jet fighter, anyone name it?:confused:
    [​IMG]
    Even the Mig-15's nemesis is here!sign1
    [​IMG]
    The Chengdu J-7, China has a long history of reverse-engineering -- even in the aviation industry!
    [​IMG]
    This jumbled mess was what was left of an F-5 Tiger, a pilot revolted and flew this thing all the way from Taiwan to mainland, ran out of fuel, and bailed out.
    [​IMG]
    Recognize this? Bring back old memories... The US marvel at their superior spy technology and China writes books about how we shot them down.
    [​IMG]
    It didn't take long before I realise this is a replika: there's no way we'd have an Apache on display.
    [​IMG]
    A surprisingly high fraction of Chinese have heard about the Trident, thanks to the one that crashed in Mongolia in the 70's taking China's vice president with it sign1
    [​IMG]
    I spent ages looking for an Il-62, and now this beauty stands right here!
    [​IMG]
    I haven't seen a DC-8 in an airport, but found one here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone know what the 3 aircraft above are?:confused:

And to finish off... "You know these things don't come cheap"
    [​IMG]
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

3. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Thanks for sharing these photos - what a great museum!

I think there are more aircraft there then some countries entire airforces

Tim
  4. mauther

mauther Active Member

I would like to be there.
    Thanks for the photos.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I agree, do go see the museum if you happen to find yourself touring in Beijing anytime!
    Hey we can always make a replica! :D --It's a shame you guys retired the Blackbird, it could have made an invincible bomber without stealth. It's technology is even ahead of today's time!
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Do you recall seeing the TB-3, Russia's copy of the B-29? I remember seeing a picture of it in Chinese markings quite some time ago.

Also, it's rumored that the Chinese have one of the Doolittle Mitchells or at least its remains.

CTD