AutoCad

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Cid,

Can't help you on AutoCad LT since I use TurboCad. I've been using TC 7 pro even though they are up to version 10 now. If you want to try it out, I bought version 8 standard for $10 and the offer included their Home Design software as well. I have no problems reading and making DXF or DWG files with either version, but so far I still only use version 7 to work with.

Thanks, Don, I wish I could use another program but AutoCad has
become such a de facto standard for industrial use that I really can't
get away with it. Any way, after asking a few more q's other places,
I decided to go ahead and spring for it off of e-bay. Hope it works out
OK, if not, I'll be :curse: :curse:

Wish me luck!! :D :D

Never used AutoCAD Light. Full-blown AutoCAD has put food on the table & rolling stock on the tracks since the mid-1980's. Currently using AutoCAD 2002 & happy as a clam with it.

Every update of AutoCAD has reports of issues but I've never encountered any of the major problems that some have reported in the past. (I did manage to skip over Release 13.) As you said Cid, AutoCAD is the de facto standard and I don't think they can afford to have unaddressed problems. If there are problems, I assume they will offer an updated fix.

When you buy a copy on ebay, is it a licensed copy that entitles you to updates?

Wayne

Hi Muddy creek,
It was new in the box and I registered it on-line.
Someone on the Cadtutor forum expressed concern
about being able to register it without it's coming
from an AutoDesk authorized vendor, but I was able to
get the authorization code on-line from AutoDesk with no
problem. So I guess it's all legitimate!!

I'm hoping so, at any rate! :D :D

CPRail

Apr 1, 2004
Brandon Manitoba Canada
Visit site
Hey,
All depends on what you would like to use it for. If you are using it for architectural reasons or mechanical makes a big difference. I have worked with AutoCad 2006, Inventor 10, Architectural Desktop, and i have seen AutoDesk Revit.

For architectural you can use Architectual Desktop whcih has preset pallettes which is something new to AutoCad which has preset defaults for all different types of walls and loads of window presets. It is just as simple as plug and click, but it is not parametric. Parametrics allows for the program to think for itself and does all the drafting for you so that you don't spend nearly as much time drawing as you do designing. Revit uses parametrics so that it is even easier then architectural desktop.

For mechanical drawings you can use autocad but it makes you do all the drawings and designing. Inventor 10 is alot easier to use, everything is in 3d, its very similar to solid edge. you draw a sketch of the object you would like to make. Then you apply dimensions to the lines so that they become constrained. Once you have done this you extrude the sketch and the object is made in 3d. then to make a working drawing you simply insert the part onto the paper then u click a button and select the views that you would like to make. Once you create those views with a simple click of a button you can dimension a complex drawing in less then half and hour by clicking on a line and pulling the dimesion to wherever you want it. That is a part, you can insert that part into an assembly. In an assembly you can constrain mulitiple parts together like in real life in 3 directions and also rotate the object on an axis. Another neat thing in Inventor is that when you create a hole that has a center bore, or holes like that also have threads, it will dimension them for you with a simple click of a button. Inventor does all the thinking for you, you just have to design. Also if you would like to insert a bolt, pully, or gear into a drawing you simple insert prompted values into a table and it inserts it into the assembly. this also saves alot of time and hassel trying to figure out how to draw gears the long way :mad: which by the way is long and tedious!!!

The learning curve for autocad is a long and steap one, but the learning curve for Inventor is very short. I was able to teach students from out of town that have never seen the program before, and we were able to teach them how to use it in 6 hours! Also World Skills only uses Inventor now instead of autocad. Last year a few students used autocad in the provincal skills and got absolutely blown away by the students using inventor. The reason being is the students using autocad had to draw every single thing by hand, and if things change it is really hard to change. In inventor you design but do not draft because the computer does it all for you, and also if something changes it is really easy to modify, you don't have to redraw everything which is a big time saver :thumb:

I have a few picts of assemblies that i have done (these picts are out dated of the actual projects which have changed a lot) if you would like to see what inventor can do. I personally use inventor, i started off with AutoCad 2000 and i eventually got better at it but it took alot of learning. i was also introduced to architectural desktop for all of our architectural projects (which i still use if i have to do something architectural) Then last year i was introduced to Inventor. Since then i have seen it from Inventor 6 to Inventor 10, and i have entered into many professional competitions and am waiting for some to start :thumb: If you have any questions about the program i will be happy to help you.

And can you believe that i am only 17 :wave:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 35