Auto Industry Operations

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I'm not sure if this new forum is exactly the place for this, but would it be helpful to post threads based around certain industries, and how traffic flows to and from them? Given where I live, I may be able to provide some photographic examples of how rail services the auto industry. Some, such as the Cami (General Motors) Plant in Ingersoll are serviced by a small spur line, while others, like the Ford Plant just north of St. Thomas has an entire yard set up with Canadian National to handle the incoming parts and outgoing cars...

papasmurf37

Feb 23, 2003
NH
Visit site
If you many modelers out there have ideas on or actually have unique/ unusual industries on their layouts, it would be GREAT to have a list of them here!
A couple of my contributions are:
1. Fire apparatus rebuilder/ restorer, having a spur with end ramp, onto which fire trucks are unloaded/ loaded from flatcars/ drop-end gons. A small restoration factory building in rear of spur has overhead door for truck egress to inside. Small parking lot on property holds a row of incoming trucks [some damaged] and restored outgoing trucks; some covered with tarps. Large towtruck would be present to move all trucks unable to run. Old hand pumper [highly polished] is mounted on concrete pedestal out in front of office at corner of factory building as company's trademark. Large billboard on factory roof 'tells it all' about the company and it's services. Nifty staged scene would be a ladder truck [don't forget a driver figure!] negotiating end ramp toward spotted flatcar.

2. An 'all things wood' manufacturing company, making ladders, barrels, picnic tables, outdoor furniture, etc., on a spur at trackside. You could have TONS of their products loaded on long shipping dock, some on skids. NOT necessary to ship everything in boxcars, as a local load [to one of your layout locations] of, say, ladders or even picnic tables [standing on end], could go out in a gon or on flat during nice weather. A sign somewhere on building wall could explain the company's product line. Company-owned trailer truck backed to dock could have similar sign on box.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: It's NOT NECESSARY to have your main always near the forground with all industries in rear! If main is swung toward rear [then swung back again after allowing the needed distance for foreground scene], an industry can be placed NEAR viewer(s). All your NEAT Scenic Details are more easily viewed, it's easier to tweak things in the scene and, as a plus, if you uncouple like us [Rix magnetic uncoupling tool or a skewer], it's much easier to reach between cars on the spur!

INTERESTING SHIPPING TIP FROM THE 1:1.
Unique use for cars on your layout:
Surplus STOCKCARS [some roads sold older, surplus ones to other roads, which were already a long way from home on the purchasing roads] were often used to handle plywood shipments! These were in wrapped stacks about 4' tall, which were loaded sideways on blocking in cars with forklift. The reasoning in article I read, was that HUMIDITY problems were reduced in these open cars. It did not state what time of year these shipments occured. Weather must have played a part in their use.