ATV Johannes Kepler

dhanners

Here's my latest. Inspired by Ton's fine ESA ATV when I built my Orion/Cousteau NEO Mission vehicle, I decided to go ahead and build a straight-ahead ATV. I chose to build the next one to fly, Johannes Kepler, which is due to be launched this year.

I took the pieces of Ton's 1/96th-scale model and enlarged them to 1/48th. I then used the parts as templates for my own, and used re-sized model rocket tubes for the ATV's Integrated Cargo Carrier and Propulsion Module.

The real ATV is covered with insulation blankets, so I covered mine with blankets, too. Except mine were made out of napkins, tissue and toilet paper stiffened by spraying them with a 50-50 mix of white glue and water. The blankets on the real ATV are held down with little black (at least they appear black in photos) grommets or something or other, and I replicated those with a black Sharpie. And just like on the real thing, the grommets aren't in straight lines (which was a big relief for me....)

Ton's model is well-designed, but it is simplified since it is 1/96th scale. I wound up scratchbuilding a number of elements, including the Russian Docking System and, well, virtually everything else.

The model is entirely paper except for four brass strips that provide the backbone of the solar arrays and eight pieces of wood (from a coffee stirring stick) that make up the solar array arms. I wanted to stick with paper, but I just couldn't figure out how to do them out of paper and have them keep rigidity and strength. Each solar array/arm assembly is made up of 45 parts.

It was a fun build and were I to do it over, there are a few things I'd do differently and there's an experiment or two I'd like to try. But we learn as we go so I'll have to save those ideas for the next model.

I've got to thank Ton for designing a fine model and for his inspiration. I used his parts (enlarged to 1/48th scale) for templates for my own. However, as a nod to Ton and his great contribution to our genre of the hobby, I used two of his parts relatively unchanged -- radiator panels D and F.

ESA's website has a nice photo of the logo for the Kepler mission (which is due to be launched later this year) and I might try printing it out on glossy paper and fixing it to the base.

Now.... Just how big would an Ariane 5 be in 1/48th?

Attachments

• ATV100.jpg
    ATV100.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ATV101.jpg
    ATV101.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 14
  • ATV104.jpg
    ATV104.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ATV110.jpg
    ATV110.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ATV102.jpg
    ATV102.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ATV103.jpg
    ATV103.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 14

dhanners

More photos....

Attachments

• ATV105.jpg
    ATV105.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ATV106.jpg
    ATV106.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ATV107.jpg
    ATV107.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ATV108.jpg
    ATV108.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
  • ATV109.jpg
    ATV109.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 9
Ariane V in 1:48 would be three to three and a half feet tall .... Lots of scope for detailing though.

BTW: Looks even more awesome each time I review your pix!

Yogi

P

Paper Kosmonaut

I doubt I ever can reach this level in realism, David. I really admire your way with paper. Wonderful!

dhanners

I doubt I ever can reach this level in realism, David. I really admire your way with paper. Wonderful!

Thanks for the kind words, but don't sell yourself short; you do fine work and the photos you've shown of your work demonstrate that you're a talented craftsman who produces some fine models himself.

It took me awhile to get to this point, and I'm not doing anything that others can't do. The thing you have to keep in mind is that paper comes in many forms and there are lots of possibilities. If you live anywhere near a decently stocked art-supply store, head down there and browse through their paper selection. I bet that when you see what variety there is of paper, the ideas for using it will come to you left and right. I know that's what happened the first time I ever looked through the paper samples.

The other thing I have to add is that I've learned so much from the forums here and elsewhere. Other modelers have been very generous with demonstrating their techniques and tips, and I'm very thankful for that.

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Well, I just am amazed with what one can achieve with different kinds of paper. But you're right about the things to be learned on the different forums. And looking for other types paper, that's what I did today. In the local hobby shop there wasn't any such glossy "solar panel" paper, unfortunately, but I saw some thin structured paper (A4-sized, so it can run through my printer) I can probably use for thermal blanketing on the AXM or Marscenter shuttles. And they had some brown colours that may come in handy for the ET. First some more practice. :mrgreen:

davidootheone

Hello,

First of all, what a great model, it's amazing how different kinds of paper can give more realism to a creation, I agree with Dhanners, it's simply amazing.
It's true that it will be interesting to know what kind of materials you used for this building.

Have a nice day.

dhanners

Thanks for the kind words. The local IPMS ("P" as in "Plastic") is having their annual contest later this month and I was planning on entering my ATV, as well as the Orion and Ares I-X. When I enter such contests, I sit down and type up a description of the model and construction to attach to the registration form; that way, judges and those at the contest can see how it was built and the materials used. I also generally attach a sheet or two of the "raw" parts so folks can see what I started with.

Here's what I've printed up for the ATV-Johannes Kepler model:

The model is a mostly scratchbuilt enlargement of a 1/96th-scale card model designed by Ton Noteboom and offered for free online. I re-sized his pieces and used them for templates for my own. Everything on the model (with two exceptions) is paper of some sort.

The structures of the ICC and Propulsion Module are based on model rocket tubes. I couldn’t find any tubes that were the proper diameter, so I found the next-largest size and cut them to the diameter I needed. Then I covered them.

The real ATV is covered with insulation blankets, so I replicated those with napkins, tissue and toilet paper. The blankets on the real ATV are held down with little black fasteners, and I replicated them with a black Sharpie. And just like on the real thing, the fasteners are NOT in straight lines, so the uneven appearance is accurate.

I scratchbuilt a number of elements, including the Russian Docking System, the Reaction Control System thrusters, the various antenna and radiators and everything else. I used cardstock and three different types of metallic paper for various parts.

The only non-paper parts are the brass strips that provide the backbone of the solar arrays and the wood (from a coffee stirring stick) that are the arms for the solar arrays. The brass and wood was used to provide rigidity and strength, and each solar array/arm assembly is made up of 45 parts.

The solar array material itself is an adhesive-backed 3D Mylar made for Pinewood Derby applications.

davidootheone

Thank you dhanners,

It's interesting and super educative to know how people create their techniques for scratchbuilding as everybody as a different immagination, and what is a detail for someone can be a huge solution for others ^^

By the way, once again you did a wonderfull job, and thanks for sharing it with us ;)

Have a nice day :)