ATTN: Canucks

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Greetings fellow Canadians. I was just wondering if any of you had any opinions on mail order / online stores???

I use Credit Valley whenever I can, they're pretty good. If they don't have what I'm looking for I use Walthers, but their prices are pretty high (although their customer service is pretty good, and if you get stuff from their sale flyer, then you're laughing).

Anyone else (both Canadian and American) ??? A lot of US stores also inflate their shipping costs to Canada I think.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Mike, I use two stores out here in BC, Central Hobbies- good service and prices are not too bad, they have a good selection of Canadian roadnames. Pacific Scale Rail (store 1) the service is pretty good but have found lately their prices are some what high. Last time I was in their store they seem to have let their stock go down, so selection is not as good,don't know if they are running into troubles or not. Also use Lark Spur Line down east, seem to carry lots of things but getting them, lots of back orders, is another topic.
I am fortunate that over the years I have collected nearly all the stuff that I require so try to stay away from the US market as much as I can due to the low value of our dollar. I though you had a few good shops your way between Edmonton and Calgary.
Ron.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
We have some decent stores here in Edmonton, but the problem I've found with most stores in our province at least (can't speak to other provinces) is that 98% of the stock is either CN or CP Rail. If you're collecting other railroads, you pretty much have to look out of province, or get things special ordered.

And if you're going to get things special ordered, I just go mail order, cause there's no point in adding an additional profit skimming level.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike:
I almost never use mail order as I like to look at the goods before I buy them. I am close enough to drop in at Credit Valley from time to time.
As for prices, everybody's seem to be high.
When I was in Calgary, years ago, I got a good deal on some CN passenger cars -- seems that CP was the local road and nobody wanted CN.
I expect you want RI stuff? I'll look, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know what's interesting. Now if you wanted TH&B, there's a shop that specializes in that.