Attaching Paper Signs to Windows

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I am in the process of adding some paper signs that I printed out on my non-laser printer for some windows in structure models. Any suggestions on what type of glue to use? Or should I use something else? Do I need to do anything to the signs before I attached them?

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I think your talking about a bubble jet printer. I have one too, and have done the same thing. This is what I would do.

You have to seal the printing, or else it will smear when glue, or any moisture for that matter, touches it. You can buy a can of Art Fix Spray, that is used to fix charcoal drawings, or use Dull Coat to seal the prints. To much money for me, What I did was to use Scotch Brand Magic Tape to seal the printing behind a thin plastic sheet. The magic tape is best for this I found as it all but vanishes once applied. Then the sign can be cut to size and stuck to the window with a drop of white glue. Once I used clear box tape to secure the poster to the window, covering the entire window with the clear tape. I've used clear box tape to seal bubble jet printing before too, but this dose put a shiny surface on the sign. That's the thing with the magic tape, it has a flat surface when applied, but it's not good to apply the sign to the window because it is not clear on it's own.

TrainClown :)

F

Fred_M

Try Double sided scotch (transparent) tape trimmed to size with a razor. Fred.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks for all the suggestions.

For the moment I am trying canopy glue.

Given my usual prowess with scotch tape and my natural ability to knot strings of Christmas lights I shied away from the scotch tape for the first attempt. This image of a twisted mass of tape and the windows attached to a cat with me and two kids chasing it kept going through my mind.

Once the glue is dry I will update all on my experience.

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
Tom

You might check out this. It's a 3M automotive product called Press N Place Emblem Adhesive stock # 051135-08069. I thought about your thread while using it to put some emblems back on a car yeaterday. A thin layer of glue (looks almost like rubber cement) on a plastic sheet. place what you want to glue on it peel it off whala no mess and the glue is right where you want it. If you need to remove the sign just peel it off from where you place it. The glue will also rub off. :thumb:

Attachments

• 100_0192.JPG
    100_0192.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0190.JPG
    100_0190.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_0189.JPG
    100_0189.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 91

DavRed

Jul 4, 2004
London UK
TomPM said:
. This image of a twisted mass of tape and the windows attached to a cat with me and two kids chasing it kept going through my mind.

QUOTE]

I can just pcture it and being a cat owner had a good laugh at the idea. Thanks Tom I needed that.

David

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
try a automotive product called clear hi tack it is used to hold gaskets in place it is stickey and most of the time if applied thin will not make ink run.
ps there are several spray glue brand names. :)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
As I stated before I would post my results with using the canopy glue. The glue worked great. It went on very easy. The first couple I used a little too much and had to soak up the excess. I was surprised how quickly it grabbed the sign. I only had a minute or two to position the sign before it set up. The glue dried clear within a couple of hours.

An unexpected benefit to using the canopy glue came when I went to paint the shades and curtains. Basically I was able paint over the signs with no trouble.

Again thanks to all those who responded.

And now here are some pictures of my first attempts at window signs.

Side Window
aux.jpg

Rear Window
auy.jpg

Front Window Right
auz.jpg

Front Window Left
avd.jpg