Atsf F45

Here is the beginings of my ATSF F45.
It is on a Kato SD45 chassis and you can see the cut down sills have been installed on the trimed Lima shell.
The Lima shell was shotened the length of the steam gen., and the sills were lenghtened somewhat on the frame to make the end hand rails look right.
The completed shell fits perfect on the chassis and will be held on with double sided tape. The coupler height turned out perfect.
I will be modifing the front pilot some to look more like the F45.
I would like suggestions.
Thanks , Mike

Attachments

• dscn1011.jpg
    dscn1011.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 210
F

Fred_M

It looks like an f45. But putting it on a SD40 chassis will make it underpowered.:) I seen one of the prototypes (I think ) on a BNSF intermodal a few weeks ago with a SD70 as it tore through town at 50 mph. FRED

F

Fred_M

They are wonderful units and quite beautiful in their red war bonnet. I hold a place in my heart for the cowl units. They are my second most favorite loco. #1 are CF7s because they are home brewed dynamos that were better than factory units of the time even though they were made from wore out F7s. CF7s still run today, after 50 odd years. Wonder if any dash 9s will be running in 2048? FRED

F

Fred_M

The one I seen was the red and silver cigar band unit. #102 I think. You going to do the blue and yellow paint scheme? FRED