Atlas Turntable??

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
What can be done to Atlas Turntable

A few years back I did an HO scale turntable by Malcom Furlow, raising the track to make a pit and using wood construction. Now that I am in N-scale I thought I would do another but less complicated one.
Some people asked in another thread if the Atlas was prototypical and the answer is yes a few had full decks on them. So, my LPB's set to work and came up with the following. The loco on the table is a new used GP 38, purchase from the BN and is not long out of the paint shop. The engineer is talking to some of the empoyees that work the table about his first run on the new loco to the WC & T. A couple of dudes came out of the speeder/tool shop across the way to have a look at the beast.
Following are 6 pictures of it to show that the Atlas turntable does not have to be a blaw peice of equiptment. A little plastic shapes and an imagination and bingo a nice center peice.
What do you think? :)

Attachments

• A34T.jpg
    A34T.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 444

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
That looks really good to me. I'm rebuilding one in HO scale to look like the Malcom Furlow article. It's amazing how a little paint and detail work can make it look 100% better. I'll try to post pictures when I'm done

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Man jmarksbery, you really have me in a quandry now. I was all set to convert my N scale Atlas TT into a pit type but now I'm not so sure. The details that you added really change it from a "blaw" piece to something that naturally fits into a service yard. THANKS ALOT!! :( :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice work on the turntable! I like the modifications to the house that covers the tt motor - I had a similar thought. Is your motor horrendously loud as well? Any trick to keeping it (somewhat) quieter?

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Andrew,
Mine is really loud too. It has to do with so many gears in the motor assembly,try ading some grease.
I'm wondering if I could rig up a belt drive system to eliminate the gears? oh well, another project for another day.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the confirmation - I have the lube job on my list of things to do. If that does not solve it, I am thinking about trying to adapt the drive to be turned by a hand crank on the facia...

Andrew

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Jim as you know I am a big fan of your work. Having said that you lost me on this one :( . While the bridge/railing work is very nice and eye catching, being this is a full deck what purpose do they serve? :confused: I guess what I'm saying is if you have to explain it, it becomes a problem. There were so few full decks in the real world that when you see one modeled it automatically looks wrong, then you have railings and bridge work to keep the loco from falling into where? I do like the house hiding the motor. There has been of course some outstanding modeling of things that don't exist/work/etc. in the real world and zillions of people (including me) loved em'. John Allen's bridges come to mind. :D . Don't let me get you down though as it still looks very nice! :thumb:

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Thanks Tyson, no it will not get me down, I just wanted to show that the Atlas turntables do not have to be blah. As I stated I did one in HO and raised the track to make a pit but did this one the simple way to show it can be done. As far as I can research there are very very few full decks left and they are very small. Therefore, as I do freelance it is an artist pallet and anything goes. If I had another one I would show how to make it a pit. It is rather simple to do. :thumb: