Atlas turnout throw rods

ren451

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I've been an avid armchair model railroader for some time and I recently joined a new club in town to finally get off my duff and build something :D . We are working on HO modules and I wanted to know what is the best way to change the side of the turnout throw bar on an atlas #6 manual switch? I will be using caboose ground throws. I want to avoid placing the ground throw between the two main lines so I want to put it on the diverging side of the switch. I'm fairly new at this so I wanted to ask for some opinions before I start cutting.

I've been lurking here for a while now and I have to say that this is a great forum:thumb:

ren451

Thanks Roger, that link was exactly what I needed to know. One other question though (for now ;) ), I ordered the CI 218S ground throws. What is the difference between that and the 202S that they use in that how to link?

I'm not familiar with that number so I checked the Walthers listing.
It doesn't have as much travel and has selectable end fittings.
It is nearly .023 shorter in its throw. Both are sprung. I'm curious, why did you select that one rather than the 202?

FrankBlunt

If this is a "Custom Line" switch, the turnout throw bar is actually designed to be easily swapped to the other side.
If you examine the underside of the turnout, you will see that the point rails attach to the throw bar with a pair of plastic nubs. Carefully squeeze the point rails together with your fingers and they will come free from the nubs. Then you slide the throw bar out and slide it in from the other side, and reattach the point rails.

Best regards,

Frank

cidchase

Hey Frank,
You're pretty sharp!!

(bet you haven't heard that one before):D :D :D

(please forgive me, it's still 4-1 here):thumb:

F

Fred_M

Welcome to the Gauge. I just had to read this thread because I heard Atlas turnouts bite, blow, and suck, but never "throw rods".:D :D :D FRED

Originally posted by dash10
Welcome to the Gauge. I just had to read this thread because I heard Atlas turnouts bite, blow, and suck, but never "throw rods".:D :D :D FRED

Sheesh. I have used Atlas turnouts for over 20 years and have had very few problems with the Custom Line turnouts. Snap Switches, yes, but not the Custom Line. I've had more problems with the Shinohara (Lambert/Walthers) than Atlas.

Oh, well... To each his own and the Ice Man has his pick. (And if THAT doesn't date me, nothing will.)

ren451

Hey thanks for all the info and what do know, you can just flip the throw rod around:rolleyes: I'll try both and see what I like best.

Roger, I choose the 218 over the 202 because........ well............ 1 potatoe, 2 potatoe, 3 potatoe, 4.:D Actually it was a little cheaper and it said that it came with a fitting for Atlas turnouts so I knew that it would work. But I suppose you live and learn.

Thanks again