Atlas Track Prices

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
The Atlas Code 80 layout "Clockwise And Vise Versa" has an MSRP of $200
The Senic Ridge track pack is almost identical (actually longer) and sells for around $55-$65

Is Code 80 worth that much more?

Attachments

• Figure8layout.jpg
    Figure8layout.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 82
  • SenicRidgelayout.gif
    SenicRidgelayout.gif
    15 KB · Views: 89
N

nachoman

code 80 should be cheaper. The bottom track plan has 3 fewer switches and one less crossing. Those are much more expensive than your standard track.

kevin

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
nachoman said:
code 80 should be cheaper. The bottom track plan has 3 fewer switches and one less crossing. Those are much more expensive than your standard track.

kevin
The bottom track plan is the Senic Ridge layout.
The top is the Code 80.

But even with 3 more switches, that doesn't justify a difference of ~$150 does it??

skipgear

May 15, 2005
The Scenic Ridge track pack is code 80 also.

The MSRP listed on Atlas' site is for everything, including block controlers and remote turnouts bought individually. The Scenic Ridge track pack is just track and manual turnouts as far as I know. It is a bulk pack that they package for the starter kit and it's price is lower to help get people into the hobby.

The HO "WGH" layout track packs from both Bachmann, Atlas, and Kato are also substancially cheaper than buying the parts seperately.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Cannonball said:
The bottom track plan is the Senic Ridge layout.
The top is the Code 80.

Apples to oranges. I don't get the comparison. Might as well have said the top is a Chevy and the bottom a Hewlett-Packard. :rolleyes:

But even with 3 more switches, that doesn't justify a difference of ~$150 does it??

Where are you getting the price for the Scenic Ridge track kit? Are you sure you're comparing the list prices?

Atlas might have also heavily discounted the Scenic Ridge pack because it's being marketed along with Woodland Scenics.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
railohio said:
Apples to oranges. I don't get the comparison. Might as well have said the top is a Chevy and the bottom a Hewlett-Packard. :rolleyes:
I don't get what you mean by this at all. I'm saying the top pic is the Atlas layout kit in Code 80 and the other is the Scenic Ridge track pack. Both by the same company and both Code 80 track. (According to skipgear anyway)

railohio said:
Where are you getting the price for the Scenic Ridge track kit? Are you sure you're comparing the list prices?
MSRP for the Scenic Ridge track pack is $65.95 so were talking an actual difference of $134.05.

railohio said:
Atlas might have also heavily discounted the Scenic Ridge pack because it's being marketed along with Woodland Scenics.
If they can discount it that much, they must make a heck of a profit margin from selling the regular Code 80 layouts.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I think the bill of materials needs to be rechecked on the C&VV. Seems to me at that price difference there are remote turnouts and the electrical components as well.