Atlas Signal System

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
OK
I am no electrician by any means and I understand that the signals will be pretty much fool proof. The thing I don't fully understand is the block detector. Could it be some kind of photo eye type gadget and if so how will this be installed on track that has already been glued down and covered with ballast?

I really like the idea of of this signal system but do to my lack of electrical experience (yes I still run analog:eek:ops: ) I am leery about laying down the money. I guess more info will become available as time goes on.

Any of the longtime experts here have a basic idea how this system will work in laymans terms?

Thanks in advance

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I was just reading the announcement about the N and HO scale signal systems on the Atlas forum. Although I don't know how it workks, the description makes it sound easy to install. They aren't being released until September, I believe. The signals themselves look very nice but neither style would be appropriate for my railroad. Hopefull they'll come out with more styles later. It will be interesting to hear more, especially from forum members here thaqt install the system.
Ralph

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
Thanks Ralph,

I suspect you model the PC:rolleyes: why wouldn't those be appropriate for you layout?

They are all over the Northeast except on the NEC where the old Pennsy position lights are still in use.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Hoghead,You may want to contact Atlas and ask them..Rob,Paul or Cory will answer any questions(except for new unannounced products) and will usually reply the same day.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hoghead said:
Thanks Ralph,

I suspect you model the PC:rolleyes: why wouldn't those be appropriate for you layout?

They are all over the Northeast except on the NEC where the old Pennsy position lights are still in use.

Yo're right, of course! :thumb: I come from Upstate NY where I was used to seeing single searchlight signals along the old West shore line....those are the kind I always imagined adding to the layout since its supposed to be suggestive of that region...and yes, I do love those Pennsy position lights too! I might be pursuaded to go with the current Atlas signals if it looks like production of other styles is going to take a while....if the system is as good as it looks it will be tempting to get some!
Ralph