Atlas Shay

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by billk, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Cinnibar

Cinnibar Member

Class 'A' Climax

Tyson,

Now that's my kinda 'N' scale logging loco! Great looking little engine.

Greg,

I did understand that the Shay is going to be a split frame, cast alloy and plastic but I still have to wonder where the price will come in. I guess we can bet it will be manufactured in China (what isn't these days?) but it just seems like it would be pretty labor intensive with all of the tiny turning shafts and gears. I did have a HO logging road a decade or so ago and built a couple of MDC Shays and it wasn't all that easy to get things smoothed out and running good. Atlas' Manufacturing Engineering guys are going to have a fun time with that one. I'm getting off the point here but has anyone noticed the variance in quality with Bachmann 'N' scale 2-8-0's? Some run great right out of the box others require minor to major tweaking to smooth them out. I wish Atlas the best of luck on the project because it sure would be great to have an affordable N Shay. Although I kinda like Tyson's Class 'A'. :)
  2. Darkelf

Darkelf New Member

Jack,

I agree with you that the assembly of the units it going to be a bear, and I don't envy the Atlas engineering folks a bit. That is why I don't see the shay being a $100 engine - but I also do not see it being a $500 engine. There should be less assembly involved in a plastic/metal engine than a brass one, just from the standpoint of models alone. That coupled with a larger production run should reduce costs...

I guess a part of me is hoping that the shay will be affordable. If it is not, I do not see it selling well, and hopes of other manufactures and Atlas offering similar engines diminishes...

Just a hope..
  3. Cinnibar

Cinnibar Member

Over The Top?

Darkelf,

You are probably right, I was probably a bit over the top saying $500, I hope so anyway. If Atlas can come in at an MSRP of say $200 and the discount houses let it go for around $150 I would start saving my pennies. As much fun as my goofy Shaymaxler is, I’d rather see a Shay come off that branch. ;)
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Boys!...

...(and girls)- they're gonna do 'em all eventually- we just might not be around when they do. Get'em while they're hot!

Mark
  5. Darkelf

Darkelf New Member

Cinnibar,

Let's keep the faith - I think we will be pleasantly surprised!

On the topic of your scratch-built climax - I read through your posting on building it. Great job!! And that is both for the model itself and for the documentation you posted on building it.. You should post the info to a website!!

I'm looking at attempting to build a two truck Dunkirk... We'll see where that goes... ;-)

Regards,
    --Greg
  6. Darkelf

Darkelf New Member

Guys,

Sorry about my previous post - a little mixed up - writing before coffee....

Cinnibar,

Sorry - wrong reference - Shaymaxler - do you have more photos (I saw a couple on your website...)

Tyson,

Loved your climax - great job and documentation!!

Regards,
    --Greg
  7. Cinnibar

Cinnibar Member

Psuedo Climax's

Darkelf,

No problem, Tyson & I just proved that great minds think alike.:rolleyes:
  8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Thanks Greg, glad you enjoyed it! :)
  9. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Love them Moose Horns,Great lil steamer,bet you had fun building it :)
  10. Cinnibar

Cinnibar Member

Gears & Shay's

Geared locos of any kind are really something. I’m curious to know if any of you have rode behind one and what you thought of the experience. My wife and I had the great opportunity to ride behind the "Georgetown Loop" Shay and it was quite an experience. Talk about a racket and volumes of smoke! Going up grade it sounded like it was going 120mph and you could have probably walked beside it. They are really incredible machines.
  11. Darkelf

Darkelf New Member

Yes!!! MSRP on the Atlas Shay: $199.99!!!:D :D :D
  12. Cinnibar

Cinnibar Member

Two Hundred

Darkelf,

Seems like that will work. The discount houses should get it down to $150 or so. Let's see - if I put a dime in a jar everyday I should have one before the end of next year. I can live with that.
  13. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

14. belg

belg Member

I assume that these are all preproduction prices for these units are not available yet ,right?
    Pat
  15. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Right. Some or all of these may be "reserve" prices, and may go up after the model actually hits stores.
  16. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Don't know if it was wise or not but I placed an order for one that is decoder equipped. I wonder what that will come to in Canadian Dollars after exchange, shipping and customs dues.
  17. txcavgr

txcavgr Member

18. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Posted by Robin:
    Don't know if it was wise or not but I placed an order for one that is decoder equipped. I wonder what that will come to in Canadian Dollars after exchange, shipping and customs dues.

About $1700.00 I think Robin :D :D :D Of course that's not counting sales tax! :eek: :eek: :eek: :wave:
  19. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Wow Tyson, I don't want a real full sized one! The price quoted when I got an e-mail will be $174.96 including shipping. I expect with taxes and customs it will cost me around $250.00 CA. Oh well now Canadian companies want our dollar to be lower so US customers buy more Canadian made goods. Go figure:curse: :curse: :curse: Us poor Canadian modellers will have to pay even more for US made stuff like Atlas track
  20. Darkelf

Darkelf New Member

Shay updates

Hey Gang,

You all probably know this, but Atlas has updated their photos of the shay. They have an interactive photo (you can get a 360 degree view of the loco) of the undecorated (but painted black) version of the engine - it looks really nice!!

Cheers!!

--Greg