Atlas Shay

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Anybody catch this from the Model Railroader site's report on the Las Vegas show?
http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/004/610levco.asp

N Two-Truck Shay
Atlas Model Railroad Co.

Atlas’ big announcement for the show is an N scale Two-Truck Shay steam locomotive. This classic logging locomotive will be a combination of die-cast and plastic components and will be available sometime in 2004 with additional information to follow.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
A Shay in N-scale is long overdue. The Pacific Coast Shay or Western Maryland #6 were large locos and could easily be done in N.

Hopefully this will open the door for other logging locos in N.

Way to go Atlas.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Those HO guys is going to flip out over this..
Do you have any idea how hard it is to land a flip with a broken ankle, in a cast!!!!??:D :D :D :D
who wants to bet they'll be Kitbashed into HOn30 Shays rapidly?
Just exactly, how long is a heartbeat??:D :D
Actually, with the expectation of building an N track module, the thought of an N scale shay.........ooooooh, the possibilities.
Pete

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Bachmann came out with an HO-scale Shay a while back, which, as I understand it, is supposed to be pretty good. Also, I think MDC has Shay models, as well. I guess they didn't see a point in making another HO-scale Shay.

I remember a while back someone on the Ask the Bach-man board laughing at another guy for asking if anyone had any plans for making an N-scale Shay. I guess the joke's on him! :)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Originally posted by roryglasgow
Bachmann came out with an HO-scale Shay a while back, which, as I understand it, is supposed to be pretty good. Also, I think MDC has Shay models, as well. I guess they didn't see a point in making another HO-scale Shay.
Doesn't Atlas have a "reputed" policy of not duplicating another manufacturer's product line?

I remember a while back someone on the Ask the Bach-man board laughing at another guy for asking if anyone had any plans for making an N-scale Shay. I guess the joke's on him! :)
I better go back and look, Rory, that may have been me!:D

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Shay built many locos of various tonnage. Almost every Shay differed from each other.

I know the "Pacific Coast Shay" was an attempt to make a standard loco but even in that group were many differences.

I have a book, "Shay, Titan of the Timber" by Michael Koch that covers the history of every Shay made and history on how they went from this company to another.

If you are in to Shays, this book is a must.

Any model company who would not make a Shay if someone else made one would be like saying only one company will make EMD, Alco, GE or Fairbanks-Morse diesels.

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
auburn, ME - SLR mile 29.34
Visit site
billk

Atlas did have a policy of not duplicating efforts. Last fall though, on the big board Paul Graf posted that N scale had gotten to a point where they were now willing to consider making models already or previously available.

I am hoping they do the GP38-2 and the F40 - both are deserving of the loving attention to detail and paint that Atlas gives their models. And of course, factory DCC!!! WOO-HOO!

The shay should be a stunner if they can pull it off. I suspect they will.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The preproduction model of the Atlas shay, is all brass. The production run will be cast metal, and plastic. The drive, is similar to the MDC HO shay, in that the axles are driven, and the line shaft is moved by the bevel gears on the wheels.
Atlas had the brass one on diaplay at Trainfest. They hinted that a late spring release was possible............That would make me happy, but then again, I'm not holding my breath.
It's one sweet looking little shay!
Pete

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Gentlemen,
My big question would be - what it will cost? To my knowledge there are three companies that make N logging locos, Small Scale Logistics http://www.smallscalelogistics.com/ , Aspen Models Climax, and Republic Locomotive Works. The Small Scale Logistics and Republics do not have operating gear trains. No whirling gears is O.K., I guess, but a Shay without the whirling gears? SSL’s and RLW’s are doable for under $300.00 so if you can live without the rotating spur gears and shafts they would be tolerable. Aspen’s Climax’s go for over $400 in kit form! All of the above makes me wonder what the Atlas Shay will come in at price-wise. Being an old manufacturing guy I know the zillions of design engineering, manufacturing engineering and process engineering hours that are no doubt going into this Shay, not to mention tooling costs. It makes me shudder just thinking about it all. To my way of thinking the success of the Bachmann, Kato and MDC steam has been that they can be bought for $100 or less. If Atlas’ Shay comes out priced at $500, collectors and those with large amounts of expendable income will be the purchasers not guys with moderate hobby budgets. I've seen the Shay at N-Scale Supply's web site and it will indeed be a beauty, but it seems impossible that it will be priced anywhere near what I would want to invest. Only time will tell but - what do you all think?:rolleyes:

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
The Shaymaxler Spared

Tyson,

Maybe Atlas will surprise us and it will be $59.95! Dream on Cinnibar. I suspect my Shaymaxler need not be worried about the scrap yard for awhile. However I was checking Republic and they have the Climax at $59.95 powered by a Z scale F-7 chassis that is another $100. So one could have a “HO MDC” looking Climax in N scale for around $160. That’s not too bad. If you’d care to look ............
http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/show_item.php?ItemID=480&CategoryID=1 ;)

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Here's a standard gauge Class A Climax that cost me about $25 to build. The mech is a Life-Like SW9/1200 with the flywheel, she's a great running engine even at low speeds in the yard. For more info go to page 6 in the scratching and bashing forum, the thread is "N-Scale Climax?".

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 248

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Class 'A' Climax

Tyson,

Now that's my kinda 'N' scale logging loco! Great looking little engine.

Greg,

I did understand that the Shay is going to be a split frame, cast alloy and plastic but I still have to wonder where the price will come in. I guess we can bet it will be manufactured in China (what isn't these days?) but it just seems like it would be pretty labor intensive with all of the tiny turning shafts and gears. I did have a HO logging road a decade or so ago and built a couple of MDC Shays and it wasn't all that easy to get things smoothed out and running good. Atlas' Manufacturing Engineering guys are going to have a fun time with that one. I'm getting off the point here but has anyone noticed the variance in quality with Bachmann 'N' scale 2-8-0's? Some run great right out of the box others require minor to major tweaking to smooth them out. I wish Atlas the best of luck on the project because it sure would be great to have an affordable N Shay. Although I kinda like Tyson's Class 'A'. :)