Atlas RS-3 vs. Kato RS-2

Honger

Apr 7, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
I'm pretty set on using a few RS3's as locomotives for my freelanced road. However, I'm very partial to Kato locomotives (in spite of the fact that I won't be able to afford many of them). I've heard the Atlas RS-3 is a Kato locomotive sold under Atlas' name. Is that true?
I've no objections to Atlas locomotives, especially if all I've heard about them is true. Since these locos are out of production Ebay is probably my best bet... though my LHS has an undecorated Atlas RS-3 for $75.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
i have one of the atlas rs3 units in CNR paint made by kato , would not trade it for anything. Very quiet runner, runs well and is very sharp looking.
my gf got me it at a train show. used for 40 bucks. nicest unit in the fleet I think. i run a small fleet of 30 plus made up of bachmann spectrums, bachmann plus, athearn, atlas and kato.

I enjoy the atlas units and the kato units but price does reflect in the number of them i have on my layout, total 2 and 2. 18 plus athearns, and 5 bachmanns ( only 1 plus unit)