Atlas N-scale Code 55 Track

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Has anyone here had any experience with Atlas' N-scale Code 55 track? In particular, has anyone run (or seen) one of the new Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidations on code 55? I'm curious to find out if it will run OK. Actually, anybody know of any steam locomotives and rolling stock that should be avoided on code 55?

I'm thinking...way down the line...of building a small layout for the office. I thought that it might be a good opportunity to experiment with code 55...

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Rory - There has been a long and at times heated didsucssio on the Atlas forum on this subject. I think the concensus was almost all locomotives, steam or diesel, of recent vintage should be okay. MT rolling stock seems to be the biggest problem. (Or you could just use Peco and not worry about it.)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Rory,
When I first built my switching layout, I started with Micro-Engineering code 55 track...the track looked fantastic, & I had no problems with any locos or rolling stock.
The problem was with the fragility of the turnouts. I managed (in my typical ham-fisted fashion :rolleyes: ) to bend the points on one just by cleaning the track! I became so frustrated by this, that I tore up the whole thing, & started over with Peco code 55.
The Peco may not have quite the "to scale" appearance of the M-E track, but it looks pretty good, (take a look at what Tyson can do with it) & is practically bullit-proof.
The Peco 55 is actually code 80 rail, with .025" embedded in the tie strip. This not only makes for durable track, but also makes it compatable with the regular ol' Atlas track, & components.
I don't have any experience with the new Atlas 55, but I think I'll just stick withthe tried & true.