Atlas GP40, approximate age?

jeffrey-wimberl

Yesterday I received an Atlas GP40 in the mail. It's one made by Roco. It had a little internal damage and the rear drive shaft liked to fall out but that is fixed now and it runs very well. It's about as noisy as some of the better Athearn BB locos. The detail is nothing to write home about, about the same as Athearn and it has an Athearn style drive, not that I'm complaining. I only paid $20 for it. The handrails are all intact and it runs like a champ. I would like to know about how old it is. If it helps it has nylon worm gears.

P1010136.jpg

P1010140.jpg

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I would say it's anywhere from 15 to 30 years old. Those locos started production in the late '70s, IIRC, and carried on through (into ConCor) in the '90s.

The detail, as you point out, is dated, but at the time they were head and shoulders better runners than comparable Athearns.

jeffrey-wimberl

The Atlas shell has been repainted and is now in MGRy colors. I still have to resinstall the windows and number boards. Here the shell is sitting on a Bachmann frame while it dries.

P1010142-2.jpg

P1010144-2.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

I got another Atlas loco in the mail this morning. Same type, Roco/Atlas GP40, Rio Grande #3045 with snow plow attached and Kadee couplers installed. This one won't be repainted per say but it will be patched for the L&A Railway. It did need one minor repair. The rear truck was falling apart. Upon inspection I found that the locking tab had broken off. After making sure that everything in the truck was clean and in it's proper place I installed the cover as it should be and put a dab of Super Glue gel where the locking tab should be. The gel won't leech into surrounding parts like regular Super Glue will and is easier to remove if need be.

P1010029.jpg