Atlas GP-7 Quality? (N scale)

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
Yep, Matter of the fact I has 2 of them, a GP-9 in NP, and a GP-7 T.T. In MILW they all have the same mechnisim, and I love them, smooth and strong, Matter of the fact, they will pull 5 cars up my unrealistic grade accrost the center of my layout with no problems (close to 9%!!!). they take a little break in time, I ran mine about a hour each with no cars at about 55% throttle, the loosened up and have been awesome. Compaitable to any of the high end locos I have. Just make sure you get a current run. a good give away is if they have body mounted couplers, those are the ones you want, stay away from the older ones with the truck mounted couplers, they don't run as well and have a tendosy to loose the motors at inoppertune times!:curse:

so my advice, get a pic of the loco you are looking at, post'em here and we'll tell ya what need to hear!

as a refrence, 99% of the Newest atlas stuff is really good, pretty much anything built after 1998. they have some things that they contracted with KATO (Like the GP-38) on that are really good from earlyer dates too but recently they have been putting out some really impressive stuff.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I have 4 GP9s and 3 GP7s.All 7 are very smooth runners..Now 3 of my GP9s and 2 the GP7s have the "scale speed" motor which means these units run slower then the 2 units that have the older improved motor(which wasn't all that fast anyway).However,all 7 have excellent switching speeds but,at main line speeds the 2 that has the older motor will not mu with the "scale speed" motor units all that well.
I am very happy with these units. :thumb:

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I ordered one today! :thumb:

I've read some good reviews on them, but I guess I needed an extra kick in the pants from you guys. It's always nice to be reassured of a buying decision. This is my first locomotive purchase, and I want it to be a good one! I made sure it was one of the newer models w/ body mounted couplers as well.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Oops! Almost forgot the image:

internettrains1881130433902xp.jpg