Atlas Forum gone until August?!?!?

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
just when ya think life is great, it couldnt get any better than this,thats when it happens.Without warning,without a chance,like a knife in the back,you have entered
The hemmerhoid zone!!!

Welcome back to the Gauge atlasites or is it atlas's. ;)

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Well I think we can relate to the no notice thing and although I did not read all the posts I think Ed (88) said it very well. Lets hope the flames dont show their ugly head around here!!!Pat

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
It seems to me the last time we got the Atlas invasion due to a shutdown everyone who came here was very coordial and polite for the most part.While atlas is known for having alot of flaming,its generally just a handful who seem to create these wars and keep them going.Most folks would rather avoid that kind of tension i believe.

Welcome aboard Eric, perhaps you will find that the gauge is more than you thought it was.We do happen to have several World class Modelers here that are quite helpful.Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get an answer than over at atlas,but then again,your thread doesnt dissapear as quickly either.:)

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I don't think it is much of a loss.
I went to the Atlas forum once, last Jan. I wasted about an hour reading messages, there was not much content. Then I found "The Gauge" and the "Railroad-Line Forum", these two are FAR FAR superior to the Atlas forum. I never wasted my time with Atlas again.

I think it's just as much of a loss to its members as the downing of
The Gauge was to its members. :mad: To add insult to injury, it was not
an accident!!!! How would we feel if it happened here??? :cry: :cry:

I welcome any Atlas members who find refuge here. :wave: I really don't
understand the high-handed way they were shut down; if it was
a result of the loss of patience, on the part of the moderators :( :( , with
some of the recent flaming and "attitudes", I think it was over-reaction.

The Atlas forum is a lot different from The Gauge, seems to have a
younger overall average age, has a membership that is more vocal with
their likes/dislikes, has lots of good dope mixed in with the chatter, plus
has a direct line to the ear of a major manufacturer, who responds on
the forum to members' concerns. Therefore, I can't agree with the
characterization of the forum as "a waste of time." :( :( It's not for
everyone, any more than the other forums are.

There is a place for all of us. :) :) Let's welcome new friends and encourage
their participation. :) :) :) :thumb: :thumb:

OhioRailroader

May 14, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
www.ironroadhobbies.com
So many forums, so little time lol.

The Atlas downtime was a surprise since I posted something one second and was going to the first page and it was gone. I new it was going to happen for the summer, but I never saw a warning lol. Oh well, here I am! Long time reader and this may be my first post, lol.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The folks that administer the Atlas Forum have shut it down more than once for very hot flaming posts. Maybe with the updated software they can control it better. They close for summer holidays as they don't trust the members to behave themselves while they are away

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
So what you're saying is...

...I can catch flame wars at Atlas? I get notices of some type in my email and immediately delete them. Who needs Atlas emails? I musta "signed in" to be cool and get into their site and decided it was pretty stupid. I love stupid people- endless laughs- but, I ain't gonna hang around endlessly waiting for it.

I laugh at you if you're an Atlas Flame Warrior. I spew forth voluminous (someone cdheck my spellinmg on that- haaaaaaa, I crack me uP) stinging repastes at your stupidity you stupid flaming stupid person(s).

Let me resurrect my point (DUCK).

Thank you,

The Management !

Do Not Hump!

edit to correct "resurrect" because the author is a "hunp"! and can't typo too good!

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Welcome to the gauge eric, ask away.

Thanks, although I've been a member here for over a year. I visit the Gauge daily, but I don't post much, unless I have something to offer. I have learned quite a bit here, even though I've been a model railroader for over 30 years.

It's not a loss about Atlas, but I was not expecting that length of a shutdown. In between the flame wars and generally immature posts, there was some good information and photos.

I really like the Gauge, especially because of the respect and civility shown among the members. That's why I'm here.

Eric

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
pomperaugrr said:
It's not a loss about Atlas, but I was not expecting that length of a shutdown. In between the flame wars and generally immature posts, there was some good information and photos.
Eric

I think the key word here is "some good", when I visited in January, the level seemed VERY immature and many flame wars were going on. It reminded me of when I was a record collector. I love Jazz music, I went in Toronto to A&A Records, it was a new shop, it catered to the "young", it had a small but varied Jazz section and if I asked they would order. There was also a store in Toronto called "Sam The Record Man", he had a three story shop with an entire floor dedicated to Jazz. Everything was there, the atmosphere was better, I did not have to be bothered by teens, pushing past me while I looked or the loud punk/newage music playing. It was a much better atmosphere.

That is like the difference I found with the two forums, The Gauge had much more to offer and no noise and a much better atmosphere.

While I will welcome the members of the Atlas forum here, I would hope that the immature ones are kept out by the bouncers here, or that they grow up and learn to respect others opinions.

The Gauge is one of the top forums on the internet, I hope it can stay this way.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Topo said:
Er, this time you guys have got me. What means «be off my rocker»? :confused:

It's like «to be out to lunch»? (I'm afraid that you have defeated my english knowledge) :eek:ops:

Javier - You figured it out, when someone is "off their rocker" they have gone insane (mad, wacko, loopy, cracked, crazy, missing from dots from their dominoes, off the deep end, ready for a rubber room, etc. :D :D :D )

REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS: As much as we expect new/visiting members, from wherever they may come, to conform to our rules and standards, Seasoned Gaugers are reminded to be on their best behavior themselves, refraning from flaming others to include individuals, corporations, websites and other forums. Please make our job as moderators easy and enjoyable. It's no fun to moderate anyone! Please welcome our new and visiting members and take advantage of an opportunity for us all to learn from each other. Let's have fun together! :thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Amen to your words, Jon!

It's funny, when you're hopping around the sections of this forum, everywhere lots of Atlasians, Atlasites, Atlassists... (??? :eek:ops: ???) are dropping in to the Gauge!

A hearty welcome to all of you, because you poor guys (and gals - hey, are there any?) just 'lost your home'. You'll find a great bunch of friendly modelers here. All of us are ready to share our knowledge with you - and we hope that you also can bring some new ideas and knowledge to us. That's what these forums are for!

About the flamers - poor guys with a massive inferior complex which want to push their one and only point of view through - let's hope they find another field to play... :D :D :D (Oh well, perhaps they even might learn some decent bahavior here, hehehe! :thumb: )

Again, welcome all you Atlas..??? (oh, what the heck! :p ) ... fans - let's all share our hobby together! :wave:

Ron

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, John and Eric.

jon-monon said:
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS: As much as we expect new/visiting members, from wherever they may come, to conform to our rules and standards, Seasoned Gaugers are reminded to be on their best behavior themselves, refraning from flaming others to include individuals, corporations, websites and other forums. Please make our job as moderators easy and enjoyable. It's no fun to moderate anyone! Please welcome our new and visiting members and take advantage of an opportunity for us all to learn from each other. Let's have fun together! :thumb:

A pic of me and Jon, last time I got outta line.... :D

Attachments

• bikes (2).jpg
    bikes (2).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 119

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Topo said:
Er, this time you guys have got me. What means «be off my rocker»? :confused:

It's like «to be out to lunch»? (I'm afraid that you have defeated my english knowledge) :eek:ops:

Javier, this reminds me of my roommate in Bible College, a guy named Alexandro, from Guadalahara, Mexico. He taught American English to college kids and was putting together his own "Dictionary of American Idioms" to be published in the near future. Needless to say, he thought it was "fine as frog's hair" to have a room mate that was "filled to the gills" with idioms as we would "pig out on some grub". I still remember the looks he would give me when he would dutifully pull out his pad and pencil as he wrote down the latest entry. :)