Atlas Duo or NCE powerhouse

thedowneaster

Brakeman
Apr 3, 2007
NH
1stclass.mylargescale.com
Hi all,

I'm converting my layout over to DCC soon. My first impression is that Atlas gives you a lot of bang for the dollar with their system.

Unfortunately my layout is a large double track loop...And I like to run tripple-headers on each simultaneously. My current amperage requirement when running 6 locos is around 4-5 amps.

The atlas system, I think, is rated for 2.5 amps. Problem!

Would it make sense to buy this system and add power districts....or should I get a more significiant system like the NCE 5 amp system?

What power district boosters are recomended and at what price do they come in at?

Thanks for any input!
Jeff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
That's a lot of current for 6 locos. But if that's what it is, it is. Anyway, given the choice, I'd go with the NCE. I think it will give you a more complete expandable system.

That said, in theory any booster by any manufacturer should work with the Atlas system. I'd ask about a specific one, just in case someone is making something that isn't compatible, but everything on the track side of the system is supposed so be compatible. So you r options would be wide open.

Jeff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I would look at Digitrax. Virtually any of their components can work with any other via the "LocoNet". Wiring is relatively simple and can be made yourself from standard telco parts available at electronics stores or even places like Walmart.

From what I have read about Atlas (researched when looking for my own system), it is fairly limited, not only in power, but expandability and functions like programming.

Andrew

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I don't think you can go wrong with the Digitrax or the NCE. The Atlas is, I believe, based on the Lenz system, which is also good. What I don't know if the expanability was taken out of it in the creation of a budget system.

Jeff

thedowneaster

Brakeman
Apr 3, 2007
NH
1stclass.mylargescale.com
Thanks Guys,
I think I will be going with the NCE system based on your comments. I'm not really looking for anything outstanding as far as features go, but I suppose this could change down the road. I may as well just keep it simple and have the 5 amps right from the start.

Jeff