Atlas Dash 8's *** Warning Lots of Photos!!***

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
rogerw said:
well cred you are the one respondsable for me liking the 6000's. I saw yours and said niceeeee. are they a current up engine?
Oh yeah,that's right.Yep UP uses them along with CSX and BHP Iron in Australia.They use them like they did their Bigboys during the Steam era,fast freight and to get over the mountains I believe.

Alot of them were converted to AC4400's because they had problems with the first AC6000's and told they could upgrade to the 6000hp engine if they wanted to later on,most didn't as you could probably tell by the tons of AC4400 models and so few AC6000 ones.

If you want to know a place that has them at a decent price I'll give you the link if you can't find one for cheap.

Chris

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
hey cred id like the link cause im thinking of getting one of them or the tower55 es44dc and cant make up my mind on the one i want and if you could post a revew on them both cause i read a post that you said you had one of both of them thanks zacharyf

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
zachary said:
hey cred id like the link cause im thinking of getting one of them or the tower55 es44dc and cant make up my mind on the one i want and if you could post a revew on them both cause i read a post that you said you had one of both of them thanks zacharyf

Yep I have the BLI UP AC6000 and the T55 NP ES44DC.Both are very nice looking engines,but I'd give the T55 the lead for detail,but not by much.I haven't been able to run them yet,I'm working on getting some track this weekend then I can review the mechanics and sound for the both of them.You're going to probably have to pay around $70 or so more for the T55 unless you get real lucky on E-Bay or something.

Anyways,here's the link....

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/HOProducts2.asp?Scale=HO&Item=j6cwacge

You might want to call them first to make sure they're in stock.

Chris

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
O.k. this is a newbie question so please be gentle :). How the *&%^%# :curse: does one get the shell off one of these atlases w/o tearing the detail to bits?

I've removed the couple box screws and i still can't separate the chassis from the shell.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I can tell you this, its a tight fit. Here are some pictures that I hope help you. :)
You have to kind use a crow bar and be gentle at the same time. :eek:ops: Its a full house in there so go slow and use a small screw driver if you can. :)

MVC-001F.JPG

MVC-002F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-005F.JPG

MVC-006F.JPG

:D :thumb:

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
take the screws off and remove the coupler boxes. I even removed the fuel tank with a small screw driver. It helps. Just go slow use a small screw driver and wigle it off. Wait till you got to put it back on. :( LOL

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
take the screws off and remove the coupler boxes. I even removed the fuel tank with a small screw driver. It helps. Just go slow use a small screw driver and wigle it off. Wait till you got to put it back on. :( LOL

I got the shell off the 6 axle road# 871 thanks would never have figured it out w/o the pix!! The 4 axle however is welded onto the frame w/ adamantium or something :(. I've wiggled pried cajoled hell i even bought it some ice cream :) nothing the shell is on tight. I did however manage to break one of the lugs that hold the top part into the bottom part :( and that is now rattleing around inside the engine so i can't run it until i get the shell off.

I also broke one of those little white lasso things on the front of the 6 axle i'm going to try and glue it back in place w/ a pin. I hope the paint doesn't run on me hehee.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Hmmm did you LOOK at the expolded view that comes in the box to see if you have to push a pin in? I am sorry, I dont have one of those so I cant see it to help you. :(

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
Hmmm did you LOOK at the expolded view that comes in the box to see if you have to push a pin in? I am sorry, I dont have one of those so I cant see it to help you. :(

i could quote you part #'s hahaha :) no worries i have a couple loco's rolling around the layout now enough so to keep me pretty busy :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
YmeBP said:
I also broke one of those little white lasso things on the front of the 6 axle i'm going to try and glue it back in place w/ a pin. I hope the paint doesn't run on me hehee.
Do you mean the Cut lever?That's my guess anyways.Good luck with the glueing that back on.

Happy B-Day by the way!

Chris

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
CRed said:
Do you mean the Cut lever?That's my guess anyways.Good luck with the glueing that back on.

Happy B-Day by the way!

Chris

Thanks ;). I'm not sure bu i can look it up on the schematics, it's the little white loops there is one at each of the 4 corners of the loco. I bent it now i'm afraid to bend it back it may fall off.

I also noticed that the little chain coming from the trucks to the body is metal!!! This engine as rediculous detail!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
YmeBP said:
Thanks ;). I'm not sure bu i can look it up on the schematics, it's the little white loops there is one at each of the 4 corners of the loco. I bent it now i'm afraid to bend it back it may fall off.

I also noticed that the little chain coming from the trucks to the body is metal!!! This engine as rediculous detail!

Yeah I believe that's the Cut Lever,it loops at the corners and comes around the front and rear of the engine.They are nicely detailed engines and unfortunantly delicate as well,I don't like messing with them either.

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Sorry, I can tell you that mine came off with a little work. Putting it back on is just as bad. :(

Damn detail. LOL

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
Sorry, I can tell you that mine came off with a little work. Putting it back on is just as bad. :(

Damn detail. LOL

No it's a great thing i have my athearn bluebox still motoring around the layout and it's a stark contrast to the kato and atlas. If i blink a couple times it looks real! Well.... if not for all the pink foam ..

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
For anyone w/ this engine that is inexperienced .. LISTEN TO COMBAT hehehhhahah. It seems there were these little hooks keeping the shell on, i swear i dunno how i'm gonna get this thing off again w/o breaking another one!

So anyway i got the shell off :curse:... here is the carnage:
IMG_0413.JPG

The front ones didn't break for some reason
IMG_0415.JPG

This is the metal clip on the frame:
IMG_0416.JPG

There are 6 in total:
IMG_0417.JPG

Picture of everyone sitting still after a metal wheeled rolling stock derailed on a crappy atlas turnout :( , shorted and ended my operating session for the night.

IMG_0418.JPG

Closer view, i have 2 box cars stuck to the front of my kato .. forgot there was a coupler there and i tried to push them into the yard to park them :). Next purchase = decoupler.
IMG_0419.JPG

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
You have to squeeze the shell in and pull up at the same time. OR you can use a small screw driver to push them in. Its easy if you see someone do it that knows how. Its nearly impossible to tell you by typing. :( Sorry!!!