Atlas code 55 turnout machines

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
The under table machine is a regular ho gauge Atlas switch machine with a different throw bar. The deluxe machine has contacts added for power routing and such.
I have always had good luck with Atlas machines, but they cannot handle constant power, or they burn up. The controller that Atlas makes is a momentary contact slider for that reason.
I have 4 on my layout now and have had no problem.
Loren

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
Thanks for the reply, grewsome. I have a toroise machine and it works well, but I can't seem to get over the price. It may not be too bad for a layout that has a few turnouts but when you get to over fifty, a few dollars each here and there adds up. I don't mind if the turnout snaps in place as opposed to slowly moving over. If you think about it there is alot more mechanically going on with the tortoise versus the atlas. Fewer parts usually means fewer problems.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
have you considered trying these? I use them and they work great !
My Manual Turn-out Controls (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Gary S.

Loren

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
Thanks, I've thought about manual control but I want to be able to build a type of central control panel for turnout control. Later maybe integrate them into my DCC system. There was another website that I seen a modeler use slide switches with linkage to operate the turnouts. Looked very neat and you can get those type of switches at radio shack alot cheaper than a house type switch. Also the slider switches can be bought with double pole double throw configuration which gives you an extra set of contacts for signaling or whatever you choose.

Boilerman

Jun 30, 2006
Blair, Nebraska (Midwest)
I am not one that advocates the use of E-tailers but if you shop them you can find The Tortoise actuators for a lot less (especially when you purchase them in lots of 12 or more) than what the LHS's sell them for.

I have used the Tortoise's since they came out and have yet to have one fail over the years, plus they have the required contacts for powering frogs on the Atlas code 55 turn-outs.