Atlas C-630 (unofficially) announced... ?

nscalesteve

...look what I found on the Atlas homepage with C-630 in the new search-tool:

http://www.atlasrr.com/NLoco/nc630.htm

CN.jpg

CanadianP.jpg

lock4244

I wouldn't touch them with the tri-mount. The CDN prototypes (MLW's) did not have tri-mount trucks, but rather the short wheelbase Dofasco truck (used on CN 2400 series GE C40-8M's, amongst others). The difference is similar to trying to pass a Blomberg 4 axle as an FB2 4 axle truck... not even close. If they put the Dofasco truck on the CDN units, or if some other after market mfg made a decent Dofasco truck for the units then they'd be worth while. Must commend Atlas for doing the big Alco's though, as all others have avoided them in N scale since the Con-Cor C636. Those C628's look awesome! Other than the truck issue, I guess they'd pass for an MLW C630M, of which CP had 8 #4500-4507, and CN had 44 of 'em #2000-2043... and BCR had 4 #701-704?

Maybe someone at Atlas will correct this inaccuracy. If they produced an after mkt (do I have to pay UP for this short form?) part that could be purchased separately, I'm sure many would pay a few extra bucks to get the proper CDN truck. It's one thing to have to add or remove a filter here or there, but quite another to build your own trucks with gears! I get the feeling Atlas would sell ALOT of these as a proper the CDN version based on just their longevity, many lasted into the mid 90's. Just my two cents.

Mike