Athearn SD70/75

What do you guys think of these models? Im thinking of buying a few, but I want to know if they're worth the 50+ dollars. Kato has good 70 series. But i want to try different manufacturers. Thanx

Herc Driver

I have two of them and like the detailing but not the motors. They seem to growl more and require a bit more power to start than my Kato or Atlas (or even my LifeLike Proto-N's). I bought the SD75i in CN colors and was disappointed in the coloring. The red just didn't seem right - too dull from the pictures I've seen of the real diesels and more dull than every online advertising picture I've seen. The other is a BNSF - again nice detailing but same motor growl - compared to other makers. All of this is to say that I still run both diesels but wish they matched better with other diesels on my DC layout. If you found them at $50 or so - that's a GREAT price and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one - loud motors and all just for the detailing and attention to detail on the diesels. I understand that there are some issues modifying them for DCC too...check out Athearn's website for details or nscalesupply.com (look for the model under the Athearn section of the Catalog link)...if you're going to go DCC you might want to look over the complexity of the modification to the frame/wiring. All in all for $50 or so - I'd buy 'em...that's a good deal.

Thanks for your reply. I got three of them today. Yes, they were about 55 dollars each. two NS 70s and one BNSF 75. They do run a little louder, but they look pretty nice. They actually got inside cab details!! I wish the ditch lights worked though.

Herc Driver

You got them for $55 each - you got a deal!!!! Good for you!!!

You're right about the inside cab details (I'm looking at mine right now) I forgot about that. It would probably look pretty good to paint those details slightly too...I guess that will go on my long "to do" list.

TexDoc

I have two running DCC. Very quiet after break in. They can pull the paint off the wall. I have these two MU'ed with a KATO C44-9. The run together nicely.
Doc in CC

DavidB-AU

Where did you get them for $55? I'd really love to add an SD70M to my growing collection of EMD demonstrators. :)

Cheers
David

I got the three that my LHS had. It was one BNSF SD75 and two NS SD70Ms with the flared radiators. he rarely gets athearn locomotives. I guess I got lucky that time,