Athearn RTR Opinions?

LIRR

How do these engines run? I've been rolling over the idea of buying a CF7, 60 something dollars for undecorated (Will show up in Penn Midland colors at one point) at internet trains ( I might not get it from them, my V&O DVD hasnt showed up here, yet)

So are the drives on par with lets say, my P2K SW9? or better yet are they not rock grinders? (I dont mind a little chatter from the drive, its conforting)

brakie

All six of my CF7s run smooth as silk with no gear noise at normal operating speeds.They are a little light in the pulling department as was the prototype.
Overall I rate these units with Atlas which is above the P2K line IMHO.
The SD50/60 runs just as smooth-I have 2 of the SD50s.The RTR BB units is far smoother runners then the old BB units.The reason being these engines use the new drive shafts found on the newer RTR units like the CF7. :thumb:
As that old saying goes(from Buick?) These are not your Daddy's BB units.

LIRR

Ah, so it looks like I will be scooping one of these up. Perfect loco for my mid 70's regional (I've ditched the steam/transition era setting because it comes down to me not having enough money for good steamers, besides the 70's is where all the real nitty gritty stuff happened) It will look good paired up with my soon to be patched C&O SW9.