Athearn RTR AC4400

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by philip, Mar 4, 2004.

1. philip

philip Guest

How to make it really pull. Add these weights.

Attached Files:

2. philip

philip Guest

Installed with Goo. No modification required.

Attached Files:

3. philip

philip Guest

Each weight is 1&1/2oz. This engine will now pull 5 cars per truck axel. 30 cars total. Modified three of these loco's and will pull 86 coal cars .....no problem 2% grade. I made the weights out of lead. The problem was to make the weight encompass the drive shaft. Anyhow the center of gravity is low and they work. No more slipping!:)

Attached Files:

4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks for the how to and also the innards of an Athearns RTR which I have never seen before. After your work it looks kinda like a blue box super with a NWSL can motor. How did you cast the lead though? FRED:thumb:
  5. philip

philip Guest

Big Dave

Big Dave weights were cast in my little shop in my basement. I started with a block of foam and formed the shape of the weight. Then dry test fit the foam for clearance. The actual mold is dow corning HS II. Once the rubber cured I heated the lead with my big soldering iron and poured it in the mold. I also use my coleman stove out side if I'm casting 100% lead. This stuff is 50 tin and 50 lead so only 1/2 the risk of cancer:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, big dave was the brainchild of this project. He says hey phil can you make this thing pull better. I say yes he's 6-9" and a mountain of a man....so i foundly call the weights big Dave. ouch quit twisting my arm Dave.

And i might add these Athearn are whisper quiet as advertised and will now hang with the stock Kato. Same weight.

philip
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

phillip, that is very slick!!
    Thanx for the method and the ideas!!:)
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Too cool...even if it is CSX;) :p
  8. philip

philip Guest

CSX

:D :D :D :D :D I hear ya!:D :D :D :D :D

I'm partial to the older stuff. AC4400 what a beast!
  9. brakie

brakie Active Member

Philip,What a great idea!! Kudos!:thumb: :D
  10. philip

philip Guest

wheelslip

this is what happens when you leave the power on all night:sleeping:

Attached Files: