Athearn RTR AC4400

P

philip

How to make it really pull. Add these weights.

Attachments

• p1010170.jpg
    p1010170.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 170
P

philip

Installed with Goo. No modification required.

Attachments

• p1010165.jpg
    p1010165.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 168
P

philip

Each weight is 1&1/2oz. This engine will now pull 5 cars per truck axel. 30 cars total. Modified three of these loco's and will pull 86 coal cars .....no problem 2% grade. I made the weights out of lead. The problem was to make the weight encompass the drive shaft. Anyhow the center of gravity is low and they work. No more slipping!:)

Attachments

• p1010167.jpg
    p1010167.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 163
F

Fred_M

Thanks for the how to and also the innards of an Athearns RTR which I have never seen before. After your work it looks kinda like a blue box super with a NWSL can motor. How did you cast the lead though? FRED:thumb:

P

philip

Big Dave

Big Dave weights were cast in my little shop in my basement. I started with a block of foam and formed the shape of the weight. Then dry test fit the foam for clearance. The actual mold is dow corning HS II. Once the rubber cured I heated the lead with my big soldering iron and poured it in the mold. I also use my coleman stove out side if I'm casting 100% lead. This stuff is 50 tin and 50 lead so only 1/2 the risk of cancer:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, big dave was the brainchild of this project. He says hey phil can you make this thing pull better. I say yes he's 6-9" and a mountain of a man....so i foundly call the weights big Dave. ouch quit twisting my arm Dave.

And i might add these Athearn are whisper quiet as advertised and will now hang with the stock Kato. Same weight.

philip

P

philip

CSX

:D :D :D :D :D I hear ya!:D :D :D :D :D

I'm partial to the older stuff. AC4400 what a beast!

P

philip

wheelslip

this is what happens when you leave the power on all night:sleeping:

Attachments

• wheelslip.jpg
    wheelslip.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 91