Athearn Ready to Roll Light board

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I am trying to hook up ditch lights in the Athearn Locomotive. Its one of the Ready to roll Dash9-44CW but actually 40CW. I have a Digitrax 163 hooked directly to the 9 pin connector. I now where the 2 functions are at but where is the common to wire both back to? Thanks

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Which 163 series decoder do you have? As per NMRA specs, the Blue wire is the common for the lighting system. But, ditch lights in an Athearn are 1.5v not 12-16, and will burn extremely bright for about .25 secs.:eek:ops:
But anyway, the 163 series are only a 3 function decoder and 1st function is forward lights, 2nd is reverse, 3rd functionless. You would need a 4 function or better decoder for realistic flashing effects.
I put this decoder in my SD70m, http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoder/A6X.htm
A TCS A6X, which completely replaces the onboard controller. It also supplies the 1.5v for the Athearn lights, with an onboard voltage regulator. It is a 6 function output decoder. So when I get a chance, and feel froggy, I'll wire up 2 more ditch lights on the rear and controll them with it.:thumb:

Edit: that decoder costed $23 at dccroundhouse.com
Edit: OOps, it is a 6 function decoder
from Digitrax's instructions:
F3 and F4 are also available on the decoder board. These can be accessed by​
snipping the shrink wrap and peeling it back to expose the solder pads that control
these functions (Figure 2). To use these functions, solder a wire from the
pad for the function you wish to use to the lamp (or other function) you wish to
control. The Blue/+Common pad works the same way as the blue wire on the
harness and is provided here for convenience.
The instruction pdf is here; http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/dh163d.pdf

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
The Digitrax 163 is a 6 function decoder. I already have plenty of them hooked with ditch lights. I am trying to wire it up to the Blue wire, but on these plug and play boards with a nine pin connector, theres nowhere to hook to the blue, unless theres a solder point on the board somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
There are 3 solder points on top of the board, you have to peel back the heat shrink to get to them. read the pdf file and it will show you the designation of those 3 points and their location.:thumb: