Athearn Genesis F7...

CN1

May 6, 2003
Any personal "review" about the latest release of Athearn Genesis F7A :confused:

How's the power-train :confused: As noisy as before :confused: :curse:

Details :confused:

Thanks

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
I have two Athearn Genesis F7A, one with a NCE DASR decoder and one with Soundtraxx DSD-100LC decoder. the NCE one runs quieter than my atlas GP-40's ( Master Series with Lenz decoders ) The Soundtraxx F7A makes a lot of noise :rolleyes: , but it's the engine (decoder ) sounds and of course the loud bell and five chime airhorn ( can be set for single chime,three chime or five chime ), dynmatic brakes sounds, diesel exhaust sound gets louder as it notches up to top speed and lower as it is brakeing and upon slowly stopping, engine wine spins down to idle. ( pretty cool ). :D

So I believe the new "Genesis series" are quieter running ( elect. motor and gears ) than the older series of any of the Athearn f7's. But thats just my opinion, but if you want them to be heard.........put in a sound decoder and have a blast ( Oh yeah--Blast--get it :rolleyes: ) aw never mine I'm going to bed. :sleeping:

CN1

May 6, 2003
Would you say the details and "power-train" are greatly improved?

Thanks rockislandnut .

mykroft

Nov 15, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Well, there's no comparison between the Genesis and Blue-Box units. Different drive & shells.

The Genesis F's are Highliner shells, custom decorated, on a Genesis drive (Almost Kato/Atlas quality). This is a better drive than even the upgraded RTR Athearn Drives.

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
CN1, here is a "Weigh-In" :rolleyes: shot of my F7A Rock Island and according to the scale ( scales correct believe me ) this unit is very healthy. :thumb: And will pull the socks off my Atlas GP-40 units. The scale is right on at 17 ounces.

Yeah its a nice shell, very well running. at least mine are and I've two of them. :D

Attachments

• Weighing F7A.JPG
    Weighing F7A.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 147

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
And another side shot favoring the rear. Note the grill work, a very nice metal mesh that you can see right through to the other side. :D :thumb:

Attachments

• F7A side shot rear.JPG
    F7A side shot rear.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 138

CN1

May 6, 2003
rockislandnut, great pics :thumb: :thumb:

therefore.....SOLD!!!! :D :D

Any idea how much in CND $$$$ :confused:

...and any F7 in MILW Road :confused:

Thanks again guys I realy appreciate this :thumb: :wave: :wave:

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
Since mine has decoders ( Athearn does not install decoders**yet** ) installed they cost a little more and since I'm lazy :sleeping: I had my decoders installed by "Tony's Train Xchange". F7A with NCE DASR cost 137.95 w/S&H, while the F7A with sound by "Soundtraxx" cost 262.95 with S&H. Pretty stiff price for sound, but if you can install the decoders yourself you'll save a lot.

Here I am ranting and maybe you don't have DCC :confused: well then mykroft had the right retail prices. :thumb:

Here is a pic of the Atlas GP-40 that can't lick either of my F7A Genesis units.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Oil burner 1.JPG
    Oil burner 1.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 117

CN1

May 6, 2003
Thanks mykroft :thumb: , I'll start with a single F7A for now :)
I'll check my LHS to see what they have.

rockislandnut thanks again :thumb:

Yes I do have DCC but I'm not into sound...yet but who knows :rolleyes: :confused: :D

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
And here is "Tony's Train Xchange" price ( should be anyway ) not to sure if this 800# will work in canada but maybe. 1-800-978-3472

Attachments

• Tony's price.JPG
    Tony's price.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 50