Athearn Genesis Challenger?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I was at the set up with the club for the Fullerton Railroad days display tonight. I was talking to one of the guys in the club who recently bought one of the new Athearn Genesis Challenger locos. He found that his model runs oposite the throttle setting on dcc (ie-it runs forward when he puts the throttle in reverse and reverse when the throttle is in the forward position). In addition, he tried running the locomotive on straight dc, and in dc mode it runs in reverse only regardless of which way the direction switch is thrown. He is sending his locomotive back to Athearn for repair or replacement, but it left me wondering if anyone else ran into this problem with one of them? He tried it in dc mode, even though he has dcc because a visitor at another show a couple of weeks ago saw his Challenger and mentioned that the one he bought to run on a dc layout wqould not run forward at all.

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
He mite have the decoder wired backwards i have done this and it make the front light come on and the loco run backwards but swap the engine leads with each other and the trouble goes away.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
i dont have that problem with my twins, but then they havent had much use recently!!! (and im not quite sure what a 90 mile NH shortline would need two challengers for, but hey ho!)