Athearn engine shells

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I have an Athearn F-7 engine. I'm not overly fond of the F-7 style (and this is worse it's a John Deer). I did find out that the Athearn GP-38-2 shell will fir the running gear. Now living out here in the sticks like I do I'm looking for a hobby shop that I can get just the shell from. I would like to find a shop that I can walk into and buy but would consider mail order as a last resort. I live in west central MN. I can get to the twin cities or Fargo Nd. Any suggestions on where to go?

Thanks

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Unfortuneately you can't swap them out. You might as well buy a powered GP38. While the motor and trucks are the same, the drive shaft/ transmission is to short on the F7. Then you will have to order the correct parts. Also, the GP38-2 shell will not fit on the F7 by a longshot.

If you don't mind ordering parts ( VERY few people carry Athearn parts in the store) you could order a GP38-2 Dummy kit. You'll get the Chassis, and you will be able to swap most of the parts out of the F7. you could try the F7 Drive shaft, but it looks to short to me.

Just know that you need the Chassis, not just the shell. you also need the detail parts. buy a Dummy kit

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
The F unit Chassis was mad specificiclly for F-units. In the Case of SW locos, The drive assembly of the F-unit is way to big.

Painting is also easy and fun with an aribrush. You can get a Testor's double Action Airbrush for about $20, and it comes with everything you need, even some paints, ( although they aren't railroad colors). I got one for christmas. they are definitely worth it.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you aren't modeling a specific prototype, you might do the f-7 as a Pennsy or NYC lightning stripe scheme. Both are basically "dip" jobs (one color) with lettering and stripes done with decals. Some of the more imaginitive schemes used by various railroads can be a pita to mask.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Check the part lists on the HO-Seeker site to see what parts interchange and the part #s for the parts you will need.
http://www.hoseeker.net/lit.html
As said , with the complete correct driveshaft set. and a 4 axle dummy with plastic side frames(SW excuded) you can have a different loco.
Here's Athearn's parts page.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Parts/Default.aspx

Speeking from experience, If you have to pay retail prices for the dummy and the driveshaft parts, you might be further ahead buying a new loco. If you can find the dummy at a show for $5 or so and the drive shafts from a vender or an LHS that will sell you the individual parts instead of 6 of each part you need, it would be worth while.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
well there are several uses for F7s, one of which ive covered in a thread.

I would suggest if you dont like the F7, either try and sell it or if you want to keep it repaint it in some "flashy" private owner scheme and say its the power for a diner train (also give you a good excuse to have a compact, flashy passeneger train on your layout)

N

nachoman

so what the santa fe did - rebuild to a to a CF7. A CF7 shell by railpower or athearn should fit... I think. Back before RTR CF7s I think rail power made a shell to basically drop on the F7. But I have been out of the standard gauge loop for a few years, and out of thei diesel loop even longer, so I can't remember what is required.

kevin

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I have a RPP CF7 shell. according to the instructions the frame must be milled or filed or the shell will sit to high. After taking measurements it seemed to me that after the specified amount of material was removed the frame would be weakened considerably so I have designed a frame from brass and plan to use the drive components from a Con/Cor GP38.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Ray, thats a little bit more than I can do...LOL. I haven't done anything with trains sence 1983 due to the many moves that go along with being career Army. Now I'm retired and I'm just starting again. The F7 was part of a John Deer set that I was going to give to my oldest son (he collects JD stuff) for Christmas we found a better gift for him and we decided that I would keep it. Presto! Instant renewed interest in the hobby! I then bought a discounted LL (the engine is a piece of junk) set mostly for the cars as a quick cheap way to get rolling stock. I'm planning on a 12'x8' L shaped layout in the basement and I'm starting the benchwork on Monday.

Any one interested in a JD logo F7?????