Athearn Challenger

Mattoon

May 2, 2006
Can anyone tell me who makes a smoke generator for the Challengers? How much are they? How well do they work?
Thanks!

N

nachoman

You really don't want a smoke generator in HO. The "smoke" is just vaporized oil- and you don't want that stuff getting all over your track and scenery.

kevin

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'll second what Kevin said. Smoke works in Lionel and LBG because the trains are so big and heavy that they crush through the "glop" and still make good electrical contact. In ho the smoke will settle on the tracks and cause problems. When our modular club is put next to a Lionel or LGB layout at a show, we go nuts trying to keep the track clean enough to keep trains running.

Iron Horse

Mar 23, 2006
SE PA
They usually heat up to about 9 billion degrees, and they burn out pretty quick if you run it without the fluid and there is no on/off switch.

petey

May 17, 2004
Matoon,
Suethe makes on. It is a number 9 and drops down through the smoke stack. Check your athearn booklets.

Mattoon

May 2, 2006
Thanks to all. I understand what you guys say about the smoke settling on everything. I own a bowling center and we have "cosmic bowling" and we have smoke machines. I don't see that settling on stuff and causing problems, but I hate messing with the foggers. The fluid I use is also oil based and feels greasy. I do also use a water based fluid, maybe that would help the train smoke unit out. HUMMMMM.........