Athearn - Brass Bearings - cleaning?

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
When you buy a brand new Athearn loco, do you clean all the oil out of the trucks? What do you do to get the best conductivity through the trucks, from rail to motor? Specifically I am talking about the wheelsets themselves, the axles, the little square brass bushings?

I'm talking about not making any actual mods like soldering jumpers and such. Is there a specific lube that helps with conductivity in the moving parts, or is it best to run them dry?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use a product called Conducta Lube and Cleaner #ACT-3753 by Aerocar Hobby lubricants. Works especially well on older open frame and Athearn motors:thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use LaBelle #102 oil on both bearings and gears, but the trick is to not use too much. If a loco sits too long (stored in a box or not run for a long time), it's a good idea to clean away the dried residue of lubricant, then apply new oil. It is never a good idea to run any bearing without lubrication. NWSL advises in their catalogue that even so-called self-lubricating plastic gears (Delrin, etc.) will run better and last longer with a light application of lubricant.

Wayne