Athearn 4-6=6=4 Challenger

Hi all,

I seen Athearn is coming out with the 4-6=6=4 Challenger. It as a dual function control with sound and a hand held remote control. Could someone explain to a dummy what all that means? Also what kind of sounds does it make? I understand the Ho version was a great success and its one beautiful engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ron:confused: :wave:

FiveFlat

The challenger will have dcc sound: whistle, bell, conductor, brakes, etc.
Not only will it have exciting things like that... It will handle a turn with a 9.75" radius!!!
This is EXCELLENT news for the mini N layout guys like me!
I just heard an EMD F3 with DCC sound at my LHS (HO scale) That sound was outstanding!!! I heared that the challenger will have the sound and dcc chip in the tender so it should sound pretty good (from what I've been hearing... after all, I AM a newbie)

skipgear

It will run just fine on DC, that is what the accessory controler is for. If you already have DCC, the function buttons of the system would control the sounds. If you don't have DCC, the accessory will allow you to access some of the DCC/sound functions of the loco. It can also be programed on a DCC layout, then it will run as programed, when run on DC, at least that is the way the HO model is.

BTW - The N scale Big Boy is only speculation at this point. The upcoming Big Boy release is HO.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
With the death of Rivorossi, and Trix's Big Boy costing an arm, leg and three fingers, it wasn't to long before someone else came out with one. Hopefully Athearn will keep the cost at or close to the Rivorossi, or even the Athearn Challenger.

The cost is right around three hundred dollars. It would be the most by far that I ever paid for a engine but I'm considering taking the plunge. I bet it will be a sell out.

Ron :wave: :wave:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
With the death of Rivorossi, and Trix's Big Boy costing an arm, leg and three fingers, it wasn't to long before someone else came out with one.

Rivarossi was purchased by Hornsby, as I understand it, the line will be upgraded, and available.

ross31r

the old rivarossi line is actually starting to come out as the Hornby International line - look out for them soon!