Atals dual mode decoder problem

Jim de Bree

I recently purchased an NCE system. I have test run about a dozen locomotives and have successfully reprogrammed them in accordance with the instruction manual. I have three Atlas locos that have the dual mode decoder. I can only run them if they are programmed with the initial factory settings. Since the Three locos each have the same setting, it's a little frustrating. I don't have this problem with any other type of decoder. Does anyone have any thoughts about this problem or has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gary Pfeil

Jim, I don't think I can help you, but are you saying you can not reprogram the address and have the loco respond? These locos (except undecorated) come with their address set to the last two digits of their road #. Do you have three with the same cab#? If they respond to their factory set address, you should be able to reprogram that address in CV1, I believe it is. On my Digitrax system, the CV # for two digit address doesn't show on my trhottle, it reads "AD" instead. This has to be done on a programming track with my system and I think with yours as well. But you know this if you have other locos with no problem. If you are trying to program a 4 digit address into it, then you also have to use CV18 and 19. CV29 plays into this as well. I'm at work and would have to check my manuals to be of further assistance, but since I have Digitrax I don't know what good that would do for you. Good luck, let me know what you find.

Gary

IMRL393

The other thing you could do would be to call both Atlas and NEC to see if they have seen the problem before (and have a fix).

- George

Gary Pfeil

Jim, Was address 3 the factory setting? These units were undecorated? My Atlas Master came with 2 digit address using last 2 digits of road #. Just to make certain I understand the problem, are you able to change the address but then the units don't respond? You are changing CV1? With the NCE system can you read back values of the CV's? If so, when you read back CV1 after changing it does it show the new address? Have you changed any other CV's? I read a Digitrax users forum on Yahoo, I'm sure there is one for NCE as well, you may want to try there. If you come back with answers for the above questions I will try to help further (not that I've helped at all yet)

Gary

Jim de Bree

Hi Gary:

The three Atlas locos included one undecorated unit, one un-numbered unit and a loco with a number of 2003. therefore they all have a factory address of three.

I am able to change the address of each loco on the programming track, however, when I do so, the locos do not respond.

I have reprogrammed several Kato and Athearn Genesis locos with non-Atlas decoders and have not experienced any problems.

I am sure that I am missing something simple. I will look into it in more detail over the weekend at which time I will post a followup with more info, or if I find the solution, i will post that as well. It may be that I just haven't figured out how to use the new system. Thanks for your responses.

Jim