asymmetrical Switch problem

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
I require help with an asymmetrical switch that just wdon't move correctly.
I am trying to hook up two switches to change at the same time. I also notice that they are quieter than other switches as if their not getting enough juioce or something. My other switches work fine.

Troubleshooting techniques I tried.

1. I tried each switch seperatly and checked for proper wiring.
Each switch worked fine.
2. I tried to exchange the control button
no difference.

I am at a loss as I know that the switches definatly work, but I can't get them to work together. I'm flummoxed.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
More power! ARG ARG ARG ARGGGGG. Seriously, if they both work seperately, but don't together it's a sure shot that you need more umpff. There are some capacitor units that will handle many turnout machines at the same time, but I can honestly tell you that I don't know the manufacturer. I've seen them advertise in the mags along time ago, but I haven't ever bought one. I always had manual turnouts.

It sounds like you are trying to make a cross-over. What kind of turnouts and power unit are you using?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Zedob is right about power requirements. Another advantage to a capacitor discharge unit if you are using a twin coil type machine, is that the capacitor will charge up in a second or less, and discharge almost instantaneously. It then needs to charge up again, which again only takes a second or less. If all of your twin coil switch machines are operated through a capacitor discharge machine, you can't mistakenly lean on a button too long and burn out the coil. I would check at your local hobby shop, or look at the Walther's site for Kalmbach and Carstens books on electronic projects for model railroading. I'm sure there is instructions in one of the books they publish on how to make a capacitor discharge machine. You might also go to Model Railroader's and/or Railroad Model Craftsman's web sites and ask if they have plans for a capacitor discharge switch machine in one or more of their book titles. The will probably be able to give you the title, so you can pick up the correct book.

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
Would a power pack just for switches work just as well?, or is a cap discharge project the only way for such problems.
What I don't understand I have other switches that work well.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I have used that system, or method, many times and never had a problem. Big power, and cheapies, made no difference. Both switches always worked good. It sounds like you have tried everything, but make sure both are wired absolutely correct. A switched wire between the 2 switches can cause what you are having.

Lynn

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Are the 2 switch machines the same? I get odd results when the machines are different makes. I even get odd results with the same make (e.g. Peco) when they come from different manufacturing eras.
You might just need a more powerful transformer. Do know what the rating is on the one you have?

Hi Grotto,:wave:
In addition to supplying more power, the CDU provides much greater life to the button
contacts because it alleviates the arcing, and also eliminates the possibility of melted
switch machine coils from the button sticking or being held on too long. Even layouts
with only single switch configurations can really benefit from installing a CDU.:thumb:

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
60103 said:
Are the 2 switch machines the same? I get odd results when the machines are different makes. I even get odd results with the same make (e.g. Peco) when they come from different manufacturing eras.
You might just need a more powerful transformer. Do know what the rating is on the one you have?
Yes: they are both Atlas switches arranged to take the train from the outside track to the inside track. What seems strange is that the sound is different from left to tight, yet I have ensured that they are wired correctly. I am really confused as to how I can get both to go at the same time as I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.

I have just added another switch and will have to do them seperatly if I can't find an answer.
Bummer, but at least it works this way.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The only reason why two switches will work fine separately, but won't work simultaniously is a shortage of power on the transformer. If you wire one switch backwards, it won't make any difference in operation by the power supply, it will just be backwards from what you want when you hit the button. If each switch works independently, but they don't work when wired together, you need more power.