Assembling whitemetal kits- Melbourne Trams

Sempak

see bottom of post for some background info...

Hi all,

I'm just getting in to suburban modelling, specifically modern melbourne (Australian) trains (sparks) and trams (light rail). There doesn't seem to be any model trains around at the moment but I'm told some Comengs are on their way, and possible some Hitachi's too. :D

For the moment trams are what I'm modeling, I can get the A, B, W, and Z class locally made by Weico kits from a city hobby centre and C and D class stuff is used worldwide so i have seen a few HO Combinos on the net.

I've bought a B2 class LRV, i should have got the A class (cheaper and no articulation) but they were sold out and I wanted it today!!!:rolleyes: Anyways, I'm in over my head here and I don't really know how to assemble it:cry:, i can solder well due to electronics experience, but lining up the parts and getting them in the right spot is a huge challenge! I can't afford to screw this up so does anyone have any tips.

--Sempak (Chris)

I suggest you check out www.vicsig.net (the suburban and tram sections) and http://www.lexicon.net/met/ if you want a really good look at Melbourne's system. Vicsig is great for photos. http://www.lexicon.net/met/trains/rollingstock/Fleetlist.html has a nice comparison of the trains.

Glossary & Notes:
Melbourne is home to one of the worlds largest tram/trolley/lightrail networks. Hundreds of these moving landmarks crawl through the innter city and suburban streets, extending up to 30km, if not more, from the city centre. Melbourne is also home to an extensive radial heavy rail system currently owned by one private operator but due to a fiasco with National Express pulling out, quite a variation in EMUs.

Comeng:
The workhorse of melbourne's suburban network, these trains were delivered in the early 1980s to replace the last of the wooden rollingstock and the failed refurbishment of an earlier design. Almost 600 carriages were made, which now run in 3-car or 6-car sets. The fleet was refurbished from 2000 finishing in 2003 into the two companies, Connex and M>Train. M>Train has since pulled out.

Hitachi:
Hitachi trains were first introduced in 1972 as a modern all stainless steel train. 354 carriages were made, which run in the same configuration as the Comengs. These sets are now being withdrawn and replaced with the "Seimens" Trains (subway braking and too wide for some platforms), and the Alstom X'Trapolis (More plastic than a milk bottle, the cheapest option).

A, B, Z class:
Older style Melbourne trams, still in regular and reliable service, some are being refurbised while the oldest are being scrapped to be replaced by the D class Seimens Combinos (3-section and 5-section) and the C class Alstom Citadis (again lots of plastic).

W class:
Really old rickety heritage/tourist trams, recently installed with doors. You can see these in Seatle.

Woodie

Chris,
I know what a W Class is, and a good old Red Rattler too. But whitemetal kits? Sorry, but can't help ya there. I didn't realise there was now such an array of models for Melbourne's tram & trains. I've got a Sam's Red "Dog Box" 3 car set, and the starting of a 3 car Red "Tait" set, but the quality of the casting wasn't that crash hot on the Tait's so they're a bit junky.

I'll have to get down to Melbourne again soon to see what they've got!! Hobby Centre in Swanston St go all that stuff you listed above?

petey

Hello,
There is that little thingy with multiple arms and alligator clips. I'm going to be trying it to hold some lightweight brass. My problem is that I don't have alot of experience soldering. Then there is the technique of holding things with magnets on a steel plate. There is also, epoxy which would allow realignment while setting up, and of course CA, but then you are back to aligning things BEFORE glueing.

Sempak

Woodie,

I found this when I searched for whitemetal in the forum, you don't have any tips to offer?
To complete the "dog box" passenger kit built set I an making, I need to modifiy a whitemetal chassis to fit the driver carraige.

The Dog Boxes are the Harris I and II right?

Yes the Victorian Hobby Centre in Swanston street has the model trams, they even have a few SWs painted and ready to run. I think VHC is the best for Australian/Victorian stuff. The trams are made by weico http://www.users.bigpond.com/weicomodels/Index.htm but there isn't anyone making modern suburban EMUs as yet. There is a guy who's taken all the measurements and is planning on it though...

Petey,
I do have one of those 'helping hands' contraptions and I might give it a go, it still leaves me with having to follow the instructions and exploded diagram though!