As the pedestrians saw them

Gary Pfeil

Double headed N1 Mikados on the JGL, crossing Main St. in Stockton NJ. Those were the days!

Attachments

• P1010690.jpg
    P1010690.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 28

Gary Pfeil

Here's one from an adjacent roof. I just realized that the only scenery work I've done anywhere on the layout has been around bridges. I sorta have to do it there as I build the bridges. Gotta finish something one day!

Gary

Attachments

• P1010691.jpg
    P1010691.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 26

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow, nice scene. I wasn't aware that the sky in NJ was that close to the earth and that flat.:D:D I left there many years ago and it wasn't like that when I was there.:wave::wave:

The bridge is typical of what I remember though. I even remember that Public Service bus that came down our street heading to downtown Newark. Keep the pics coming.:thumb::thumb:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Brow mounted elescos, and vanderbilt tenders.......mmmmmmmmm very nice!
Great shot :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The mayor of Stockton really needs to tell that alien ship, parked over the city , to move, or "feed the meters"........... all of 'em! :D :D :D :D

zedob

I love that pedestrian shot. Great scene. NICE bridge.

There are a bunch of scenes like that right around where I live. The raised and retained roadbed is nice. I've been wanting to incorporate such a scene into my shelf layout.

Nice stonework, need a job? .......... Just kidding.:)

MCL_RDG

About photos...

...and paintings, when they make me want to be in them and explore the scene- that's my way of knowing I'm enjoying them beyond the fact that they are just photos and paintings. I want to hang out near that bridge and watch the trains pass as they head to fascinating destinations.

Mark :cool:

Gary Pfeil

Hey, thanks everybody, I appreciate the kind words. Don, I too remember the Public Service buses, one ran by a block from my home in Teaneck, and by age 10 or 12 my folks would let me and my friends take the bus into Hackensack to go to the movies by ourselves. That would probably get parents arrested nowadays! I was pretty thrilled when the model was released, it even says Paterson local on its letterboard, appropriate fro the scene modeled, based on the Erie in Clifton.

Having egged me on, here is a photo from the other side of the street.

Attachments

• P1010695.jpg
    P1010695.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 27

Gary Pfeil

Thought you might like to see just how small an area is actually scenicked. Only the portion under the bridge! The retaining wall on the left will have a set of covered steps leading up to a passenger platform. The brick bldg on the far side of the track will be replaced with a passenger stattion. The track under the bus will lead to a foundry in the turnback curve of the main. When? No time soon! I'm working on another scene, another bridge scene in fact.

Attachments

• P1010693.jpg
    P1010693.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 27

Gary Pfeil

Here's the new project. This bridge is made from spliced Atlas girders cut from their sectional track bridges. It is 1 1/2 lengths long. I used Central Valley bridge ties/deck and made the walkway and railing from strip styrene.

Attachments

• P1010697.jpg
    P1010697.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 29

Gary Pfeil

Here is a photo from a great mag,TRP. It was my inspiration for the new bridge. Mine is longer, 100' in fact. A bit long for a girder bridge, but it is the first bridge made of Rearden metal, much stronger, and lighter, than steel. Rearden steel is the largest customer on the JGL and they wanted an opportunity to prove their new metal. JGL needed to replace their old wood trestle, hence the first bridge was placed on an industrial switching lead, only a few miles from the Reardon plant.

Attachments

• P1010703.jpg
    P1010703.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 19

Gary Pfeil

Here is an overall view of the new scene. The abandoned wood trestle will be between the two bridges. The main line bridge is a Central Valley kit. I've got the bents made for the trestle, I need to get downstairs and start added NBW castings.

Attachments

• P1010699.jpg
    P1010699.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 15

Gary Pfeil

And finally, a close up of the loco on the bridge. Hope you've liked what you've seen, I hope to make some progress on the new scene over the next few weeks.

Attachments

• P1010702.jpg
    P1010702.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 15

ezdays

Out AZ way
Gary,

Where did you get that bus? I'd buy one just for the nostalgia, even if it isn't the right scale. Yeah, we used to hop the #40 from Kearny to Newark when we were kids.

Gary Pfeil

Don, I can't remember the name of the company who offered the bus, I bought it maybe 4 years ago. I will ask at my hobby store next time I go.

Gary