AS Paper Aircraft lab, anyone here have flown one?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Hans Christian, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

http://www.infosnow.ne.jp/~suzuki-a/

I hope this is no repost... :-D

I've tried many of his planes for years, and I must say that his flying models are one of the best (if not THE best) cat-launched models out there...

Back when I was in 1st year college (when I used to have some free time), I used to fly these planes using large rubber-powered catapults, and because they are light compared to the cat's pulling force, I can fling these things at rediculously high speeds and high altitudes (I computed the planes' speeds to be in excess of 100 kph upon leaving the catapult platform [that's about 3.66 meters of the platform in at most 0.12 seconds, or around 254 meters/second squared acceleration], and can reach around 50-100 ft in a vertical climb), they were so fast that I can even hear streaking sounds even in strong winds...

so anyone here have already gave these a try? :-D
  2. Hans Christian

http://www.infosnow.ne.jp/~suzuki-a/

I hope this is no repost... :-D

I've tried many of his planes for years, and I must say that his flying models are one of the best (if not THE best) cat-launched models out there...

Back when I was in 1st year college (when I used to have some free time), I used to fly these planes using large rubber-powered catapults, and because they are light compared to the cat's pulling force, I can fling these things at rediculously high speeds and high altitudes (I computed the planes' speeds to be in excess of 100 kph upon leaving the catapult platform [that's about 3.66 meters of the platform in at most 0.12 seconds, or around 254 meters/second squared acceleration], and can reach around 50-100 ft in a vertical climb), they were so fast that I can even hear streaking sounds even in strong winds...

so anyone here have already gave these a try? :-D
  3. paul a

paul a Member

yes with some trim they fly fly great.
  4. paul a

paul a Member

yes with some trim they fly fly great.
  5. Hans Christian

I'm planning to build these planes once again, I miss them too much!!! :-D

I'm also drafting a catapult platform for these planes right now... :-D
  6. Hans Christian

I'm planning to build these planes once again, I miss them too much!!! :-D

I'm also drafting a catapult platform for these planes right now... :-D
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ditto paul a.................
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ditto paul a.................
  9. paul a

paul a Member

some of these might work as a replacement for the tyco sky force toy .with a few modfacations.
  10. paul a

paul a Member

some of these might work as a replacement for the tyco sky force toy .with a few modfacations.
  11. Hans Christian

Before I discovered this site, I used to look at every toy store and hobby shop that might sell cat-launched gliders, which I found to be not that numerous, and when I found one, they are usually made out of styrofoam (laminated or not), as it is preferred for its lightness and rigidity...

but the drawback of styrofoam is that it can easily break or rip when hit by some hard object, or when the plane smashes itself on the ground when it doesn't have enough altitude to recover from a dive...

so I got tired of buying these things and decided to make one for myself on stiff cardboard, using the side and top views of planes to make templates... some flew like a charm, some can dive straight to the garbage can...

When our PC finally got an internet connection, I accidentally went to this website while finding some good aircraft card models, and researching about the ISS for a 1/300 card model (I also discovered Dr. Fortezza's models this way, and so is this group and other good sites)

Today, I can see tons of styrofoam cat-flown gliders at every hobby shop I went into...

but so what? who cares? now I can build one that is way better than those :-D
  12. Hans Christian

Before I discovered this site, I used to look at every toy store and hobby shop that might sell cat-launched gliders, which I found to be not that numerous, and when I found one, they are usually made out of styrofoam (laminated or not), as it is preferred for its lightness and rigidity...

but the drawback of styrofoam is that it can easily break or rip when hit by some hard object, or when the plane smashes itself on the ground when it doesn't have enough altitude to recover from a dive...

so I got tired of buying these things and decided to make one for myself on stiff cardboard, using the side and top views of planes to make templates... some flew like a charm, some can dive straight to the garbage can...

When our PC finally got an internet connection, I accidentally went to this website while finding some good aircraft card models, and researching about the ISS for a 1/300 card model (I also discovered Dr. Fortezza's models this way, and so is this group and other good sites)

Today, I can see tons of styrofoam cat-flown gliders at every hobby shop I went into...

but so what? who cares? now I can build one that is way better than those :-D
  13. Hans Christian

hey guys, many visitors of this site are requesting the designer, Akihiko Suzuki (hence the abbreviation, A.S.) for some repaints of his planes, you know, like camouflage, gray schemes etc...

anyone care to give it a try? :-D
  14. Hans Christian

hey guys, many visitors of this site are requesting the designer, Akihiko Suzuki (hence the abbreviation, A.S.) for some repaints of his planes, you know, like camouflage, gray schemes etc...

anyone care to give it a try? :-D