Articulate & Steam

Cjcrescent

I also suggest you read Antoine Mallet's book on articulation in locomotives. He perfected the concept of articulation. Mallet's (pronouned Mallee) were named for him. The originals were compounds, and only later did advancing boiler technology allow for simple articulateds.

petey

Medicine Man,
Back to your original question. Just think of the postage required for something, just like that.
By the way, I have a Mantua 2-6-6-2, and guess what, the rear engine does NOT pivot.
I have a couple of Js, one of which I might part with, for something less than the cost of N&W's first unit.
The word looks French, I've always pronounced it Malley. My wife, with four years of French, says that's correct, unless it's a non-standard pronunciation. Leave it to the French to violate their own cockimamey language rules.

F

Fred_M

Mallet was a Frenchman, so it's pronounced just like Chevrolet and chalet should be. ET is pronounced aye. FRED

Cjcrescent

Petey;
Yep it's french. Antoine was a Frenchman and a brillant engineer. He perfected taking two engines, one using low pressure steam, and one using high pressure steam, and placing them under one boiler. On the prototypes the rear engine did not pivot, just the front. Some model makers have both engines pivot to lessen the required radius needed to get the model around curves.

CN1

Cjcrescent you're the only one who missunderstood :rolleyes: but that's OK.

keep in mind I didn't say Cars-Trucks. I said Cars & Trucks. Just like Apples & Oranges, Cats & Dogs... But that's OK. Maybe people write/talk differently in your neck of the wood. :rolleyes: No problems.

Thanks, but no thanks. I have all the reference material I need. The website link was for your (and others) personal info. Rookie :confused: Sure, whatever you say :wave:

Dash 10 is right. Antoine Mallet's last name is pronounce like chevrolet. My wife's french, and she's certain about it..... :D

F

Fred_M

Calm down guys. :D CN1 please keep posting them wonderful pics. FRED

Cjcrescent

CN1;
Must be nice to have all the references you need. I've been working on my ref library for over 40 yrs and still haven't got enough. ;)

My wife is french as well, (mother's side, scottish on fathers side). Her family's name is Mallet. They pronounce it Mallee as in alley. I guess it depends on where in France the "Ole Homestead" is and where that funny accent mark falls. As petey stated, "Leave it to the French..."

CN1

There you go Dash 10. A 2-8-8-2 Articulated Baldwin

tr_wpr252.jpg

F

Fred_M

Now that's a cool steam loco, looks like a sharknose alco. (speaking of the T1 4-4-4-4 on previos page) FRED

shaygetz

Now that CNR "6400" has got a face only a mother could love...keep 'em coming, CN1 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

We had an interresting experience at one of our modular club meets in a mall a few years ago. Our minimum radius for the mainline is 36". Some guys were visiting from another club and wanted to run on our layout. They had brass U.P. Challengers, and they were articulated just like the prototype. Some of our members have Rivarossi Challengers with both the front and rear drivers on swivels. The Rivarossi's would work on either the inside or outside mainline. The brass models had to be restricted to use on the outside main because, if operated on the inside main, the smokebox would swing out over the outside of the outside main in the turns! Fortunately, there was no scenery outside the outside main that interfered with the locomotive's operation.

RailRon

Just my 2¢ worth about the articulated history:

Yes, Mallet is French, and it's prononced Mallee... or Malley... er... oh, well - French! :D

BUT: With all due respect, Anatole Mallet was (like Louis Chevrolet, b.t.w.) a Swiss engineer, both originating from the French speaking part of Switzerland. Both had their family background in the watchmaking tradition, but then they switched to somewhat bigger machinery! :D

Imagine a world without those beautiful '57 Chevrolets! And who knows, without Anatole Mallet perhaps there hadn't been a Challenger and a Big Boy!

Yes, I know, Challengers and Big Boys have four high pressure cylinders, while the original mallet configuration has a compound steam engine with two high pressure cylinders (small diameter) at the rear, fixed engine, and two low pressure cylinders (big diameter) on the front, swivelling engine.

The N&W Y6b 2-8-8-2 was a real Mallet engine - look at the different cylinder size!

Ron

Attachments

• Y6b.jpg
    Y6b.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 68

CN1

Yes, the compound engine! Great innovation :thumb:

You're right it's Anatole not Antoine. I didn't know he came from Switzerland. Lauzanne area? :confused:

BTW Who put forth the poppet valve in steam engine?

RailRon

Mallet was born in the village of Lancy near Geneva. (Lausanne is also on Lake Geneva, about 40 miles from Geneva).

The poppet valve was introduced by the Italian Arturo Caprotti, who transferred the poppet valve from the automobile to the steam railroad engine - and this after 1911!!
Have a look at this website!

Ron