Arizona

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

As you can see from the photo my next build will be USS Arizona.

Out of the models I have this is the only one that has not being or just built.
The other ones I have are:-
HMS Savage, INJ Fuso, Victory and Bismark and another three have not arrived yet so the options are limited. The B-17 is going to have a big kit bash thanks to leif :lol: So thats out of the game for a while

First construction post will be tomorrow night

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Way to go, Rob!

Looks like your shipyard is going to be fairly busy for the next few months! :D

If this kit is like Roman's Yamato, this is going to be an exciting and awesome build, with those skilled workers in your shipyard. :lol:

Looking forward to this thread for sure!

Cheers, Mate!
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Here we go the first destruction report oops I mean construction report :lol:

All parts fit great cut right they click together the fits that good. this went together quick for that reason!! easy to build so far and the instructions are very good. With this model it better to build the full hull as the water line model needs a lot of cutting to get it right.

She is now ready for the hull platting :roll:

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
I agree with Barry, Rob, that's a pretty sturdy looking frame.

That band that seems to get thicker at midships, is that something you added or part of the assembly Roman designed? Seems to add a nice bit of strength right where you need it in the waist area.

How do you manage to build, what, two or three ships at a time? :? I finding it difficult to find the time to play around with Connie as it is. :lol:

Can't wait to see more photos when you start plating this beautiful hull.

Cheers!

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

First I found out why my photos turn out rubbish when downloaded in to my system. The disc that came with the camera from Kodak is corrupt and does more harm than good.
That is why Jim that former looks odd!!

Iam now using the bog standard imaging wizard and they are much better.
So don't always trust the disc sent with a bit of kit you buy :roll:

Down to the important stuff :lol:

The red tabs for all the curved formers are provided in the kit I just added the four middle ones to give more glue area.
While printing the hull plates out my printer left a white line down one side of each plate. As the hull will be painted anyway I left them in and the gap at the keel is covered by a keel plate as stated in the instructions.

Jim Iam able to build two or three models for a few reasons, I only sleep about five to six hours a day at most (its 1.40am here now), I own the firm and do a lot of work from home and I find I relax and dump the stress of the day while building!!

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Looking good as usual are you going to fill it and paint it for an immaculate finish and if so what materials are you going to use?

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Its just a white line on the plates from my printer not a hole the fit was perfect. The gap running along the keel is covered with a keel strip in the kit. But yes it will be painted to cover the white, I had no more card of the right size to run it again until tomorrow when my delivery comes. The job had to be done NOW :lol:

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

The ship yard has been well on the go today :lol:

skined the hull and gave here an undercoat to get rid of the white lines my printer left.

Next the decks

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just one photo tonight of Arizona, I will do more on her tomorrow and show the results then.

Fitted all the main decks now , next step is to fit the props and rudders I have already built and side plates.

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Mark

Thats why I've not entered, I have this kit on the go and Missouri had already been started and would not be finished in time anyway. With the other models and projects on the go I think I would be battered to death if I started another now.
I have a few other great kits here and its killing me not to do another now, but most of the ones I have are very big and take up some space.

I think I would get the order of the golden boot out the door :lol:

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
She's shaping up so very well, Rob! :D

I admire that you have the discipline and where withall to do more than one build at a time, and do them all so well. It's all I have to get to my build a few times a week, usually on the weekend. Oh, I'd LOVE to work on her every night, but it's just not in the cards no matter how hard I try. :(

Keep at it, mate! :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Well back to the wet stuff for me :lol:

These guns like the others I have done in Romans kits have been well thought out and everything fits very well :D
I did laminated the formers thicker than required and had to compensate for this in the cutting of the slots. The reason I did this is so when I fit the metal parts later I din't crush it, also the card I used for the cover is a bit thicker as well.
The barrel is just dry fit to give an idea of how it would look!!

More soon

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Rob! :D

It's great to see you back to Arizona and amongst us squids. :lol:

I just love your work...nice, crisp cuts and neat builds.

Great looking guns, mate!

I was curious what metal parts you are referring to in your post. :?

Nice dry fit on the barrels...this looks like a beautiful kit. I love the look of Arizona anyway, so I'm a bit prejudiced, but the quality of the parts and how well you're putting them together gives me a good idea of how outstanding this build is going to be.

Looking forward to the next update, mate!

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

She has an aircraft on C turret, but for them to look right I used the same card on all four.
I don't want to say what I will try in case it flops and I don't use it, just thinking ahead to give myself the option later. Worked the thicker card in just in case :roll:
I don't want to try it later and find the card used on the turret won't hold the weight :lol:

Well back to building :roll:

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Arizona guns

Hi Rob

Nice to see your feet wet again, usual outstanding build :lol:

Are we going for an all metal catapult then ?

Is this your birthday present to yourself mate ?

Tongue hanging out for more as always

barry