arizona train shows

baldwinjl

caellis said:
masphx,
Ever try the ACE hardware? I believe it is on 22nd street.
Been there several times. Lots of goodies!

Yep, as they say, Ace is the Place. 22nd and Kolb, north side, next to the ATV place. They just recently expanded, so it isn't nearly as crowded as it used to be.

Jeff

caellis

Yep, they have an extensive stock and are real friendly.
I visit Tucson once a year and save up my pennies just to shop at the ACE store!
I have purchased a couple thousand dollars worth there in the past 3 years.

The train department keeps getting larger each year.

I have traveled all over the U.S. and this has to be about the larest ACE Hardware store I have ever been into.

masphx

Wow, Thx for the tip about ACE. I went to the store today and they have a large selection.
I'm new so not to sure on prices yet but how are the prices at this ACE?
Thx
Mason

baldwinjl

I think the prices are more than online, less than list. We try to buy some things there, even if it costs a bit more. I've bought couplers to make sure they were the ones I want, I'll probably buy larger quantities online. We have bought quite a bit of track and cork there, we want it now, and it isn't that expensive, especially once you figure in shipping. They have a sale bin of N scale cars that are a dollor or two off (of some price), it is hard to resist one now and then.

Jeff

N

nachoman

I'll be there about 9:30. I'm a tall lanky guy with long brown hair. I can't be missed :)

kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Well, I did manage to get to the show up on N. Central yesterday. Typically attended and in size. I got there about 9:15 and one of the first booths I walked up to that had N scale, some guy with "I buy trains, planes, cars and other model equipment" on his bright yellow T-shirt was negotiating to buy about four boxes of cars, including about eight Amtrak sleepers, all for $35. The guy at the table was selling them for $1 each, and there must have been 40-50 cars in the lot...:cry: :cry: Man, one thing I don't need is more rolling stock, especially more Amtrak, but I would have bought them all in a flash. :rolleyes: As usual, there was an abundance of people selling used stuff at or above what I can get it for brand new most everywhere else. I don't know how these people can think they can get away with it, unless the think they can trap newbies like they did me when I went to my first show years ago.:eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Spent some time with TrainNut and http://www.the-gauge.com/member.php?u=6054masphx. I talked to someone from Ray's club up in Prescott and he said that Ray didn't show up. I couldn't hang around long enough to see if I could find anyone else from here that said they were going. If you were there and we didn't get to meet, sorry, we were all standing in the big isle in the middle of the show and were talking for close to a half-hour. This was my first outing since my surgery so we left early. Peggy went with me just in case, and we did get to meet TrainNut's wife and family.:D

Thanks to that guy in the yellow shirt, who was snapping up bargins all over the show, I never got to buy anything, but I was glad I went nonetheless. :thumb:

N

nachoman

I saw that guy. Kinda makes me wonder about our economy and what sets the prices of stuff. I hear last night people are paying up to 2200$ for a playstation 3 from ebay, and it is just the advance reservation on the system, not the system itself!!! In other words, idiots are willing to pay 5 times the cost of a video game sysptem just so they can have it the first day. No wonder the prices of things seem so inflated and the heads of companies are raking it in.

Not much N scale at the train show at all. that suprised me. I want a few n scale used items to kitbash into some HOn30 equipment, and I came up dry.

kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Sorry I missed you Kevin, maybe next time. :wave: Glad to see that you got there anyway. :thumb: You're right, very little N scale, and no one had a layout there. Sometimes there are sometimes not. Still, there were plenty of tables, I just wish I could have stayed a bit longer though, I might have found something worth buying.:D

masphx

Hi, the train show was nice. My first time to one and alot of stuff to buy. I bought a few things which I will be posting pictures later on for advice and suggestions. It was nice meeting Don and Tom at the show and thankyou guys for giving me some advice and train shops to check out.
Mason