Are you a model railroader?

Just what kind of a model railroader are you? (select all that apply to you)

• I have an operable layout:

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I am building a layout, but it's not yet operable:

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • I operate on a club layout

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • I operate on a modular layout

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I'm strictly an armchair modeller

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I collect trains, but don't operate them

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I'm kind of in between, my layout is part operational, part in progress

Votes: 28 32.9%

• Total voters

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I have my mainline in service, although I need to redo one of the curves. No scenery is even begun, as I need to build the frames underneath first, and transfer the track/roadbed assembly onto it.

I definitely regard myself as preparing for a future layout. I haven't run a train in, maybe, 6 months. I have numerous projects under construction, mostly rolling stock. Some of the equipment is too large for the tight curves on my current layout...since I'm building them for a layout that won't be started for 5-10yrs.

Now, for the past few months, I've been more of an armchair modeler. The last thing I did was build a set of trucks a couple weeks ago.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
As many of you might know im building an around the room shelf layout with a below level stagging yard. I am almost done with stagging now and will then start work on the main layout, to you could say my layout is non-operational for the time being lol :mrgreen:

But im planning on getting the Digitrax Super Chief DCC System in the near future to change that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I had an 8' X 10" modular layout, with a 2' X 4' extension. There is almost nothing left of that now, as I have transferred most of the scenic items to modules that are compatible with the Lake County Society of Modular Engineers show layout. With that, and being a member of the Lake county Model Railroad Club (no connection) I'm pretty well "layout equipped", and there is no room left for a home layout.
My time is also taken up with saililng ship models, models of the Naval vessels I served in, and an occasional kitbashed "spacecraft". My three modules will be at Trainfest this November, In Milwaukee. OK, four, counting the Ntrak module. I'll try to get that up to Milwaukee also.
I have a second set of three modules under construction, as time permits.....someday..........:mrgreen:

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I had an 8' X 10" modular layout, with a 2' X 4' extension. There is almost nothing left of that now, as I have transferred most of the scenic items to modules that are compatible with the Lake County Society of Modular Engineers show layout. With that, and being a member of the Lake county Model Railroad Club (no connection) I'm pretty well "layout equipped", and there is no room left for a home layout.
My time is also taken up with saililng ship models, models of the Naval vessels I served in, and an occasional kitbashed "spacecraft". My three modules will be at Trainfest this November, In Milwaukee. OK, four, counting the Ntrak module. I'll try to get that up to Milwaukee also.
I have a second set of three modules under construction, as time permits.....someday..........:mrgreen:

Not to thread steal, but if you are going to Milwaukee, and would like someone else to drive, or chip in on gas, PM me.

Matt

L

lester perry

Isn't it a law that if a model railroad is ever "finished", the modeler must immediately tear it down and start over?
OK Russ I know it has been a while since you posted this, but I was looking back over this thread and read it again. I beg to differ with you on that law. I think it says when it is finished tear down a wall. I know of a couple of guys who listen to their wives and added a room to the house. Naturally this means more basement space. They have some smart wives don't they. then there are a few that I know of who added a room to their homes just for their layout. Then you have guys like myself who have a building in the back yard. My layout has had one growth spurt which almost doubled the size. I was going to have another last fall but illness got in the way. I am unable to do it right now but who knows about tomorrow. Plus I have some MRR buddies who said they will help build it. now I need to find the funds again now that I can't work.