Are there rail clamps for O ga?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Bartb, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Bartb

Bartb New Member

I run a layout on hardwood floors through the dining and living rooms over the holidays. After a few runs with multiple engines, the tracks begin to seperate, especially on the turns. While I've seen rail clamps for g ga, I'm unable to to locate clamps for O. Are there any available for O, and if not, what does any suggest as to how to solve the problem
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I guess we should ask what type and make track you are using first. There are clips to help hold the track together for 'O' tube, '027' tube and MTH realtrack. Your local dealer would most likely be your best bet.
  3. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Welcome Bartb ! [​IMG] It sounds like you're using the 027 track, which I don't believe has clamps available. I'm not sure, but I think the real high heavy rail O-gauge Lionel track has clamps available, or they used to. The only other thing I can suggest is maybe going to the MTH Real Tracks or Lionel Fast Track. A lot of guys run on carpets, too. Others should come along with more suggestions, I hope. Keep us posted on you outcome!:) Thanks,John
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

John, I beleive Lionel still makes them for both tracks.

The clips of Lionel tube track “O” is part # 6-12743 (12 for about $8.00)

[​IMG]

and for Lionel ‘027’ track is #6-62901 (12 for about $5.00)

[​IMG]

:cool:
  5. csxt30

csxt30 Member

I think that's great information, Tom. Hope that helps Bartb, I didn't know they had them 027 track or MTH Real Tracks either. You sure would need those for on a hardwood floor, & would make it better for carpet, too. Hope Bartb checks in on the Coffee Pot if he gets time ! Thanks, John
  6. Bartb

Bartb New Member

Track is 3-rail Atlas O, the clips work in most instances, but it's in the high stress areas where the track sections (want to) seperate. Last year, I wired the sections together with fine wire, but that created quite a show occassionaly, when the wire managed to touch the engine contact rollers! Really don't want to do that again.
  7. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Maybe you could use small rubberbands (the kind that dentist use)
  8. Bartb

Bartb New Member

Thanks, good idea. My wife will get a kick out of me getting frustrated using my fat fingers to stretch small rubber bands over tiny ties.
  9. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Oh, how about the small plastic tie straps?
  10. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

Bartb- to use the rubber bands you could try a pair of the pliers that are for removing C clips. There are two types, one that works like regular pliers and the other the jaws opens when the handles are closed. A cheap set can usually be found at a flea market or an auto parts store might work.
  11. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I like bread ties. The Lionel clams are expensive.

Keep a set of side cutters handy to crimp the track ends tight from time to time.