Are the pins on my Kadee's really needed?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by LIRR, Dec 22, 2004.

1. LIRR

LIRR Member

You know them, those ugly pins hanging under the couplers, they look like crap and probally smell like it too, I havent checked that one out yet but its on my to-do list. Now onto the question, I have a few cars converted to knuckles and those little pins annoy the everloving crap out of me because im stupid like that. I dont use uncoupling magnets and i've been thinking about giving them the chop. Are there good pin-less knuckle couplers on the market? All the ones i've seen are the static non operating kind.
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Many veterans (I'm slowly getting a round tuit :rolleyes: ) are simply snipping the pins off and operating them like the prototype...sorta. By inserting a sandwich pick (those really long toothpicks with the colorful celophane hairdoos) and twisting them clockwise, you have a very effective and easy to use uncoupling device. The reason I've been so slow about it is nostalgia...Kadees were the bomb in '72 when I first started and I've kinda grown used to the pins. However, if my trains snags one more grade crossing or prematurely uncouples over a ramp one more time.... :mad:
  3. Dick Elmore

Dick Elmore Member

They're only neccessary if you want automatic uncoupling. Kadee went to a lot of trouble to make them that way. they made them longer and bent them outward for two reasons. One; to make them uncouple better and two; to make them look a little like air hoses so they don't look quite so non-prototypical. To each his own!!! Some people actually like the "NMRA"
    couplers best. Go figure.

Dick
    Texas Chief
  4. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

It's your railroad. You can do what you wish. They are designed for use with uncoupling ramps and magnets. If you don't use them, cut at will.

As for me, I adjust them with the Kadee coupler gauge to the proper height and keep them. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
  5. Blake

Blake Member

That works fine, just make sure that you won't be needing them somewhere down the road. I checked, they smell like steel. Cold Rolled low carbon I believe.
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

Paint them flatblack with a silver tip and they will look alot more like an airline.Or just chop them off and forget about the auto-uncoupling.
  7. LIRR

LIRR Member

Im probally gonna snip them off now, thanks all, im not big on automatic uncoupling anyway.
  8. trainking49

trainking49 New Member

I am having uncoupling troubles myself with them.
    I am going to cut a few off and see how they work.
    Will let you know how i make out.
    Ralph