Arbour Model Allegheny 2-6-6-6

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
I recently found an Arbour Allegheny kit circa. 1979 complete with a registation number. I am looking for information on tis model and want to know if I should attempt to build it. Does anybody have experience with this model that can offer me some insight?

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I haven't built one so can only offer secondhand opinions. I did see one and the person who owned it had a heck of a time with it, I never did see it completed. I've built MDC and Bowser kits, they are easier than this one, by far. I believe part of the problem is less than wonderful kit design. If you've built a Bowser or two and enjoyed it, then go for it. If not, you might want to try one of those first. Sorry I do not remember what specific problems there were.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to THe Gauge :wave: With that, I hope I don't scare you off the hobby with my appraisal of Arbour Models kits.

I owned an Arbour 2-8-4 Kanawha kit. In short, it takes a master model builder on an exceptionally grand scale to build one of their kits. Parts are EASILY broken, require constant and intensive fiddling and, because they are long out of business, irreplacable---there would be no second chances. The mechanism is a monster, I couldn't imagine doing one that was articulated as well.

The kit was made for a day when model railroading was more of a craftsman type hobby. In their day, Arbour provided an oppurtunity to own hard to find/afford models of unique locomotives. A kit from 1979 would have been among their last produced, a cursory look thru my MRs finds an ad in a July '82 issue. They were simply not made for the inexperienced or even a skilled intermediate level modeler and so, with the advent of better mechanisms and wider selections of motive power available, Arbour past into model railroading history.

My only regret is that I didn't keep the kit I had for my small collection of model train benchmarks and milestones. They certainly earned their place for without them and companies like them, newcomers couldn't enjoy the hobby as we know it today. You have a great piece of modeling history there. For now, I would recommend enjoying it for what it was in its day with the idea that maybe one day you could possibly tackle it, at least to the point of a static display model.

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
Arbour did have other locos in the line....a ten-wheeler (Sierra #3,IIRC). The biggest problem (I never owned one) is that the metal they were made of is similar to pewter, and is soft for model railroad purposes. Things wore out fast, and as stated above, they are no longer replaceable. I would sell the kit.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
An Arbour models H8........ I do hope you have been building models for a loooong time. The drivers in mine were .......OK this is a family show so I guess the word should be...unusable.... yeah, that's the ticket. I ordered, and quickly recieved new drivers from Bowser. They were one scale inch smaller than the Allegheny's drivers, but.......in the Arbour models frame...the flanges rub against each other. Sooooooo................I have to mill new axle slots, and make new side rods, and.....

The project is on hold right now, while I decide whether or not to fully equalize the drivers, yeah, full working suspension!

Even if you decide to build it as a static display model, there is a lot of filing and fitting needed to build this kit. If you're looking for a serious challenge.............have fun! I WILL build mine..........someday.
Pete

Oh... I soldered the boiler, and frames together. Torch work! be careful, the kit parts will melt.

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
Thaks to all

tt22cc said:
I recently found an Arbour Allegheny kit circa. 1979 complete with a registation number. I am looking for information on tis model and want to know if I should attempt to build it. Does anybody have experience with this model that can offer me some insight?
Not sure I am ready to attempt this as of yet. My Granfather was a master and probably why he had it

petey

May 17, 2004
DO NOT BUILD THIS MODEL!!!!!!!!
So far I have had two very competent builders work on mine. It does run, and it looks pretty nice. The first builder finally gave up in disgust, his final solution was to remove the gearing to the front engine, the second builder has succesfully managed to power both engines. The drive trains are terrible, the detail parts crystallize, there are NO bearings for the drivers, the current is picked up by pressure "shoes" on the inside of the driver tires (center is plastic),on ONE side, this side pressure on the sloppy drivers, was a major cause of the engine derailing. Bowser drivers were the wrong size.
I had the first builder put a Dallee sound unit in the tender, that's a plus.
So far I have about $468 dollars in it, think I can get that out of it?
The engine has been a-building for about 4 months. The second builder is finished with it and is going to deliver it to me--when, I don't know. Gosh, I hope it stays on the track.
You would be way ahead buying a Monogram Big Boy kit. These can make a very nice display model.