Aquiring N scale parts

FiveFlat

first of all, please accept my apologies for piggy backing on gregbva123's thread. I have several other questions so decided to start a new thread.
I am going to start a mini N scale layout while I do my O gauge for my son. I plan on getting the majority of my N parts off ebay. I am having trouble finding a transformer. Does N scale require any 'special' type of transformer? What should I look for?
I kind of have bad impression of Bachmann after my mother bought a G scale Bachmann and it didn't last one Christmas season for her.
So, how about N scale Bachmann steam engines - reliable? Will Kato, and Bachmann run on Atlas track, and vice versa?
Any tips on things I should be looking out for when getting my initial collection?
Thanks in advance!
Sheldon

C

Catt

N scale is N scale the track is basically all the same (except narrow gauge of course).

I would really reccomend that you get a powerpack specically made for N scale or one with settings for the different scales.

About your mom's G scale Bachmann set.Did it get sent back to Bachmann for service? They have an excellent track reccord for customer service.

The N scale Bachmann Spectrum steam locomotives are just about the best on the market,or so I have been told by folks that own them.

My PPV on buying locomotives in any scale is to test run before you buy.This goes for any brand out there.If the seller won't let you test run the loco go buy it somewhere else.

(PPV= Personal Point of View)

pgandw

The power packs that are more than a rheostat - a transitorized voltage controller like the MRC Tech series - work fine for both HO and N. The old and/or cheap rheostat-based power packs sometimes (often?) included in train sets do a poor job of controlling N locomotive speeds.

DCC is another option that allows you to control more than 1 locomotive on the same track at the same time. DCC requires a decoder in each locomotive and a special throttle.

yours in powering up

FiveFlat

Could someone recommend a good very inexpensive DCC controller just to get started in N scale? I don't want to drop a bunch of money into an N scale setup if this scale doesn't click right with me.
I would rather spend a few measly bucks on a cheap controller and buy a nice one later if I like N scale, rather than buy a nice controller right off the bat and end up not enjoying it.

pgandw

If your are just trying out N scale as you indicate, I recommend you stay with DC, and not go DCC. Get a MRC Tech series (2, 3, or 4) power pack off EBay and enjoy. If you decide you don't like N, the power pack can be used in another scale (except O 3 rail) or sold.

Hope this helps