April 06, It's not the trains, it's the structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

2-8-2

I'm building a Walthers Cornerstone project similar to that right now. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. Nice job!

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

spitfire

Thanks 2-8-2! Those Cornerstone kits are great, don't you think? :D

Don, that's my spackle technique at work. All you do is rub on then rub off. It stays in the grooves and looks just like mortar.

Val

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow, I'm impressed. Lot's of great entries so far. I haven't gotten mine in yet. I had a building in mind, but I went out yesterday to take a shot of it and it was surrounded by cars. I gotta find a time when all those people go home. :rolleyes:

Will_annand

Model shot, who you trying to kid Val, I seen that building is downtown Toronto, over in the warehouse district near Bathurst. :D :thumb:

Gary Pfeil

Very nice Val, I love the coloration. Here's mine, most of the buildings in Herbertsville, NY, with the sun about to go down over the mountains.

Attachments

• P1010743.jpg
    P1010743.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 244

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Ray Marinaccio said:
This is the inspiration for the Campbell Skull Valley Depot kit.

If ya'll don't mind, I'm gonna jabber a little bit...
Hey Ray bet you did not know that I used to eat my lunch under that shade structure as a little kid. I was home schooled up until the third grade and during that time my mom used to take me right next door of that depot building to the Skull Valley school every so often so's I could "socialize" with the other kids. Back then, the school consisted of one building which had 4 rooms (Kindergarten, first grade through sixth grade, the coat/storage room and the cafeteria:D :D ). I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that building in your photo was actually moved from Prescott near the Iron Springs, Williamson Valley junction. I could jabber on and on about Skull Valley but back to business...

I almost missed this contest. For some reason, the title of the thread just did not catch my attention. Now that it has, I am again feeling repressed at having to select one and only one photo. I could not decide whether to go with a picture of a bridge or building. Seeing as how most of the others are of buildings, I succumbed to peer pressure! My picture is of the engine house/machine shop of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic railroad in Chama taken on a chilly evening in July, about 9 at night. My father and I were wandering around the yard and grounds "sightseeing" and were invited inside for a complete tour of the machine shop and building by the night crew. Later, to my elation, we were allowed to climb up inside one of the K-36 2-8-2 mudhens outside (the engine barely visible in the right hand side of this photo) and allowed to sit unchaperoned for at least a good hour. Every so often, the fireman would come out and fire up the dynamo, check the pressure and add more fuel as necessary. It was truly a moment of complete satisfaction! I wanted so badly to reach up and give that whistle cord the yank of its life but was cautioned not to. Okay, enough jabberin'! On to the photo.

Attachments

• DCP_2432.jpg
    DCP_2432.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 252

doctorwayne

The other side of the tracks, where the station is in the background, is downtown Dunnville, Ontario. We're in the part of town that put Dunnville on the map, the industrial district, with the John Bertram Machine Tool Works in the centre of the frame. The main offices front onto Liberty St., in the right foreground, with the factory sprawled out behind, stretching all the way to Walnut St., where that switcher is busy tying up traffic. The wooden structure to the left is the office for the Grand Valley's Walnut St. Freight Terminal, a mid-city team track, complete with overhead crane. Separating Bertram's from the bustle of Central Station is the Grand Valley's elevated doubletrack mainline.

100_5437.jpg

Wayne

shaygetz

A rare shot from my module, Bubba resting a bit in front of his little shop in the background while Hyram surveys the M&MC main from his perch alongside the OC&CC. The shop is a Woddland Scenics kit and the office was scratchbuilt from shirt cardboard about 15 years ago. Don't get to take shots like this much as the lighting in my bedroom just ain't fit for photography.

Attachments

• scene1.JPG
    scene1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 253

Pooh Bah
George and Dragon

I bought this kit after we ate at a George and Dragon in England. Kit was overly basic and undetailed, so I added the half-timbered walls and tiled the roof.
It came closer to scratchbuilding, but without the contest points.

Attachments

• George_12.jpg
    George_12.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 230
Took this picture on vacation last October. It is the Keddie Wye trestle in the Feather River Canyon. It is now a Union Pacific line but is pure Western Pacific heritage. The route to the left is the "high line", i think they also called it the inside gateway because this is where WP and Great Northern held joint trackage rights. The route to the right continues into portola and on to Salt Lake City. There is a tunnel in the mountain that creates the third leg of the wye, it is a place that doesn't seem in scale until you actually see it. Unfortunately the picture size restraints limit this photograph immensely.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF1174.JPG
    Copy of DSCF1174.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 228

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here is the place you have go after the train stops!:D It maybe the most important structure on the layout, well at least to the LPPs on the layout.:p :D

Attachments

• watero5_g.jpg
    watero5_g.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 219
L

lester perry

Obviously you either have a good telephoto lens and fast film to get that from an airplane or know someone with a helicopter.
Les

cn nutbar

a shot of doctor wayne's world

hello---the doc has been encouraging me to submit a post in the photo contest---this is a picture from his layout,all credits belong to him,i only took the picture(lucky me)

260406088.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.