Apparently spelling doesn't count anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
spelling, language, grammar

In most of these entries, or all, no mention is made of possible exceptions. We have members from Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Norway, China, Japan, and scads of other places. I think all do an outstanding job of using the English language, and I readily accept any and all errors without a thought.

I'm not faulting anyone, just bringing it to mind.

Lynn

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ah, here's a topic I can really relate to! If you think spelling abilities have deteriorated among the younger generation, you're absolutely right - and here's why.

About 10 years ago a new trend swept through the education system. Many educators spend no time in the classroom. They are beaurocrats and planners, so-called experts. How one learns to read, and the spelling of words has not changed in over 100 years. So how do these planners justify their existence? By rolling out brand new ways of learning to read.

When I was a kid, we learned by the phonics method. We also learned grammar starting in grade 6. About 10 years ago this method was scrapped. Correct spelling was "elitist", it was "cultural imperialism". Alternate spellings were declared to be ok. Kids checked each other's work. Grammar was no longer taught. This was declared to be progress.

Teachers, those on the front lines, were incredibly frustrated. They had just been deprived of one of their most important tools for teaching. In parent-teacher interviews, I've had numerous teachers confide in lowered voices that they still snuck phonics into the classroom, because that is the best way to learn - tried and tested over many years.

We wouldn't show up for a job interview in dirty, wrinkled clothes, because we realize it's important to make a good first impression. When the first impression is something written, such as a resumé, or even a post on the internet - that first impression is one of a slovenly person, and unfortunately, whether it's that person's fault or not, one of someone who doesn't care much.

As I say to my design students, many of whom are from other countries and cultures, you MUST spellcheck. If you're not familiar with correct grammar and syntax, enlist help from someone who is.

Bad spelling creates the impression you don't care. And if you, the author don't care - why should anyone else?

I then give them a list of common trouble words, ones the spell-checkers won't catch: there/their/they're, to/too, its/it's etc.

The fact is though, that when all we old fogies are dead and gone, it's the young people of today who will be setting the rules. R U wurryd yet? :eek:

Val

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
dash10 said:
Word processors have nice spell checkers and take up less room than 2 dictonaries Bob.

True but, at six pounds apiece, they tend to better settle any and all debates when properly and effectively applied to an offending cranium. :p ;) :thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
There are many good points on this thread. Lynn makes a great point. I'll add to that that it is poor etiquit and considered rude to even mention spelling or grammer on an international forum. This has been brought up on this forum before. I would also like to point out that we have several members with disabilities that interfere with their abilites to spell and/or to articulate in a way that is easy for you to easily understand.

Many people have foucussed abilities that make them great at certain things, and not so good at other things. Great spellers would probably not like to hear about their weaknesses in computers, electronics, physics, science, chemestry, mechanics, plumbing, drywalling, sex, boxing or social skills discussed openly on a railroding forum. You are free to read or not read any posts here regardless of how well written.