Apollo Collection builds

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by littlemodeler, Jul 10, 2008.

1. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Tim,

I do it in PowerPoint, pretty much the way you do. Usually I'm able to make copies that are spot-on, but for whatever reason this one isn't working for me. I guess I need to measure, just the way you do.

Mike
  2. mvink

mvink Member

Gents,

Ton's 1/48th drawings are not Letter-sized, but measure 9.82 by 7.1 inches. If you printed his PDF files in "print to fit" mode, they will be off in size. I'm not saying that's what you did, just supposing :mrgreen:

Mike
  3. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

I dunno.

I actually went after his 1/96th model, and I bet something along the lines of what you're talking about is what happened. I'll have to experiment a little.

Mike
  4. mvink

mvink Member

Yeah, those sheets measure 10.67 x 7.33 inches in size. Same problem.

Mike
  5. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

well my saturn v turn out not to be 1:96 scale after all. because i printed four to a page for Greelts model, i had to shrink ton's files to 87%. That means that my saturn v is acutally 1:108 which is quite a bit smaller than normal. but i print all my files in the fit to page format so that they are all proportional.
  6. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hello everone!

just a quick update on the ongoing saturn v. i decided to go a bit extra with stage 3 of the rocket and add the unfoldable flaps from the CSM adapter. Also i'm almost done the minature LEM. But i am stuck on two things...1) i don't know what the legs in the folded configuration look like, 2) the diameters of the tubes are ridiculously tiny. the diameters i can handle from all the advice you guys gave me from the tiny millenium falcon gun turrets so i'll have to do some tiny work. but i do need help for the folded config. anyways here are some pics of the continuing progress and detailing of the saturn v.

Attached Files:

7. I know a method of making tubes as small as you want. It is easy. Similar to the way kids make worms with clay. I take a piece of paper, cut it to about 1" wide wet it then lay it on a flat non absorbant surface. Lay a metal ruler on top and position about 1/16" from the edge. Using your fingernail bend the edge upward along the full length. Then, making sure you are rolling with the grain (gain runs virtically), take a piece of corrugated cardboard about 8-10 in size. Approching the edge that is raised slightly with the cardboard in the flat position, moving forward like a plane is landing on the runway, lowering it as you do so until it catches the edge then contiinue rolling until it forms the tube. Move quickly not slowly as it won't work if you are to slow. Varying widths of paper produce varying diameter tubes. Practice with it and you will get very adept at it. I roll quite a few of different sizes and keep them for future use. It seams that each time I do it I have to get good all over again. So make I a lot of them.

Try it is easy when you get the hang of it.
  8. Here is the thread

"Very Thin Paper Rolling" under tips and techniques
  9. The legs fold up so that all the linkage on the bottom of the leg folds up against the virtical supports. The leg simply rotates against the bottom as far as it will go. When you look at the lainkage it all makes sens.
  10. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Thanks Tim...that actually works a lot better than what i used to do:p also by linkage to you mean that the points on the bottom support frame bend to move the legs inward or does the entire thing move at its joints to fold itself?
  11. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

12. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

oh!! i get it now:D thanks timhinds1@cox.net and underwoodl06 for all your help. now time to get rolling...wall1
  13. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

No problem at all, It is always a good thing to help out anyone in distress. Plus it looks like it is good so far, why stop?
  14. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Nice job on the LM adapter! It almost looks like the real thing!
  15. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thanks robot exodus...i'll be posting new pics with the legs attached in the folded position soon :thumb: but i'm going insane working on the extremely tiny antennas right now:cry:going miniature is hard!wall1
  16. Nice job on the LEM

I always thought that this version of the lem would look better if one substituted the foil pattern with Dan Renos Gemini version from Delta 7. You could cut out the foil portions from his rear section. (printed on photo paper of course). This would yield a very realistic look. Dan was very creative by using dyed tin foil and photographing it to achieve the results. Manual artwork just can't get the results that he did. I have yet to see anything that approaches his method.

Attached Files:

17. dhanners

dhanners Member

I'm late reading this thread -- been busy lately -- but I just wanted to say how impressive the build is. Great work, and thanks for sharing the photos.
  18. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Tim- thanks for the advice on the foil pattern. I'll try it out sometime or maybe i'll use it on my 1:32 LEM build to go with my CSM. Also thank you Dhanners for the compliments! this build was inspired by so many other builds that are even more impressive than mine. I'm just the student of many other masters of the art :)
  19. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hey guys! sorry i haven't posted in a long time. But i did finish with my school project which involved the completed 1:96 saturn v, an f-1 engine, a 1:32 scale Odyssey, and a mini LUT (1:480) with the saturn v. I also compiled a series of photographs and clips from the movie Apollo 13 into a 13 minute(what a coincidence) video to remember Apollo 13's journey to beat all odds. My final grade for this project was 100% (the teacher liked the paper models :p) and is now displayed in my house. Pictures will be uploaded shortly because i'm having a difficulty with uploads.
  20. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

here are the pics from the project. Still more details will be added.

Attached Files: