Apollo Collection builds

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by littlemodeler, Jul 10, 2008.

1. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Props to both of you! i'm filipino too!!!:D mabuhay ang Pilipinas! Robot Exodus, it is glad to hear that a fellow sophomore is also inthis realm of the papermodelling hobby. I have not read those books so far but i've read apollo 13 and failure is not an option(by flight director Gene Kranz). I've heard about those books b efore though and they're on my to read list. I hope you do finish those models. they are really great models to do if you are a serious space geek. Shin Kazama, it would be nice to see a filipino on the moon or mars... how about a crew of three (you, robot exodus, and me) to be the first crew of filipinos to set foot on the moon:rolleyes: as for now i may not be able to climb on top of the ares rocket but i sure have stage 3 ready for my 1:96 rocket. Actually, theres been a mistake in my scaling and the correct scale is the smaller, more miniature, 1:118. Also i took a break from the large saturn v and built a mini 1:480 LUT with the rocket. Anyways here are the pictures of stage 3 of the Saturn V. Stage 2 will begin soon:D

Attached Files:

2. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

YEAH!! well i know another filipino forum member, his name is jaybats, author of the armageddon space shuttle i am building in larger scale.

oo nga pala, i am building my apollo stack from the top down, so, far some failures are silver paper laser print muck-up(got stuck sa printer ng print shop) hoping for a realistic silver CSM. also i am looking for that phone shaped part on the apollo CSM, connecting the service module to the Command module. AND Command module heat shield tips(i want all my Apollo stack be separable but reconnectable thru magnets.)
  3. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

would udons' LEM model fit in with ton's CSM?
  4. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

um the udon LEM is in 1:48 scale. it will fit depende sa scale nang CSM mo. are you building the 1:96 versio or 1:48 version of the saturn v?
  5. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

wait i just saw the post you did near the top. if you are doing 1:48 it should fit. Also i don't know how to connect the CM to the SM by using magnets. maybe if you place a magnet in the middle of the heat shield (which is closest to the top of the SM) and then place a magnet in the center of the top of the SM, then maybe the two magnets will meet up together when you attach the two. Note: you must put the magnet that goes on the SM in a visible position so that it can touch the heat shield. It might work depending on your method. This is the same thing i'm planning on doing for my slightly massive 1:32 scale CSM which will include the CM (earlier in the post). Hope this helps!:D
  6. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Good heavens! This is to incredible to be a coincidence! :eek:
    Clearly, God has something in store for us. :thumb:
  7. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

lol i know! and i agree that God has something in store for us and our country! ok i just finished the overall saturn v excluding stringers, external details, and the engines for stage 2 and 3. also i've decided to include udon's LEM in this scale to go with the rocket. just remember that stage 2 and 3 are only there for temporary and will be replaced as Greelt P. releases the rest of this model. as for now i'm trying to finish rolling the legs for the LEM. Here are some pics of the progress of this build. Note: the last three pictures were taken at sunrise.

Untill next time,
    littlemodeler

Attached Files:

8. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I love the picture 3rd from bottom.
  9. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thanks! i wish i had a LUT to go with it. but thats another model for another time:D
  10. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Little,

In looking at the pictures you took of your boost protective cover for your 1/96th scale CM, am I seeing things right? Did you actually make the details on that three dimensional? In other words, did you cut out all those "line" details on a second BPC and glue them in place on the base BPC? If so, how did you manage that?

Whatever you did, it looks amazing.

Mike
  11. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Hi Mike,
    to answer your question i did. all i did was print out two BPCs and cut the details out of one using reference pics. then i cut out the second cone but did not curve it inot a cone. after that i carefully used a toothpick to add small amounts of glue and glued it on the other BDP and waited for the glue to dry. Then i formed it onto a cone. The key is to make sure that all the areas from the cut out BDP is glued so that it will curve together with the one under it once it was dry. also its a good idea to leave about half a millimeter or so as an allowance for when you join the two ends together so it remains smooth. it takes a little more effort to add the detail but in the end its worth it.

Hope this helps!

littlemodeller
  12. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Wow.

Man, my hat's off to you. I'll have to try that.

Did you use just a regular X-acto knife?

Nice, nice work.

Mike
  13. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

i did use a regular exacto knife. i tried this two times, the first time i tried to use a good strong gluestick but in the end white glue with a little bit of superglue for reinforcement did the trick.
  14. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Hey Little,

You've inspired me to rebuild my BPC to be like yours. It's come out extremely well. I'm very happy with it.

Thank you for the advice and inspiration.

Now, I need to rebuild my F-1s. I guess I need to shrink the detailed F-1 model, huh?

Mike
  15. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Hey Mike,

I'm glad that I inspired you and that your BPC came out extremely well. lol shrinking the f-1's were a challenge but its well worth the try:D. As for me after I finish up my miniature LEM I'll start to enlarge the F1 engine to about 1:24 or 1:20. I'm planning on scratchbuilding some additional details to enchance the current engine.

Thank you again for your comments!
    Littlemodeler
  16. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

also does anyone know how to position the LEM legs into the folded position? i'm working on the descent stage and i'm stuck on this part. Thanks in advanced:D
  17. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Yeah, I was also wondering about this. I was planning to mate my 1:48 LM with the 1:48 CSM and have the legs folded in trans-lunar configuration.

It would be cool if you could easily fold and unfold them. Then you'd have a paper lunar landing playset. sign1
  18. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

yea thats what i was thinking...i was also gunna make the third stage adapter unfoldable so it can copy the CSM and LEM docking
  19. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Little,

As it turns out, I got "cute" and tried to cut and paste a second BPC onto Ton's original BPC page so I'd only have to print to one sheet, thus saving some cardstock. As it turns out, somehow in the copying process, the parts "grew", and my BPC is about 10%-15% too big... Operator error.

Back to the drawing board. At least now I know I can do it.

Mike
  20. I'm no designer but when I try to cut and paste, I do it in MSWord. then you can re-size the parts by grabbing the corner. I measure everything. Sometimes you can paste a measuring bar on to the page as a reference.

This is how I do it. I re-size a number of models to 50% and by pasting two pages on one I can save paper.